Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 17 Jun 1997 07:38:16 -0400
From:         Ed Gurney <ergurney@snet.net>
Subject:      [Fwd: Re: 91 Vanagon Wierd Fuel System Prob?]

Dave, I am taking your advice, I subscribed to the list a few days ago. Tons of mail now.

Dave wrote: > > Based on the fact that the harness failed twice I would think that something else is causing that. Maybe all you need is a fuel filter, the injector harness could be getting clogged? The O2 sensor should be replaced ever 80k miles, I doubt you drove your van 80k miles in a year, but I could be wrong. If you want more help I would strongly recommend posting to the vanagon mailing list, send an email describing your problem to vanagon@lenti.med.umn.edu . This is a great source of information, > > Dave Filcoff > Dfilcoff@stlnet.com > http://home.stlnet.com/~dfilcoff > 87 Vanagon GL Wolfsburg (121k) > > * LiMBO (Late Model Bus Organization international) > * VWoA VW Club > * Gateway Volkswagen Club > > -----Original Message----- > From: Ed Gurney [SMTP:ergurney@snet.net] > Sent: Monday, June 16, 1997 8:24 AM > To: Dave > Subject: Re: 91 Vanagon Wierd Fuel System Prob? > > Hi Dave, thanks for taking the time to reply. > > This problem existed once before, and finally went away when my mechanic > replaced the Fuel Injector Harness about a year ago. I recognized the > symptoms right away when they returned a few weeks ago, having lived > with it for a couple of years the first time around. So, I am suspicious > of the Oxygen Sensor. > > But I am extra suspicious of the part having possibly failed twice. Are > these sensors well known for needing frequent replacement? > > Dave wrote: > > > > You my want to check your exhaust system for leaks, look for cracks at the > > weld joints. If this is your problem when you disconnect your O2 sensor the > > idle should return to near normal. Another possibility is the idle stabilizer. > > The idle stabilizer is the cylindrical unit located in the top center of the > > engine compartment, disconnect the power (on the left). You also might want > > to check the idle stabilizer control unit. It is located behind the right rear > > taillight, it looks like a big relay. I don't know how to check one, but the > > fail sometimes. The black smoke could be a couple things, check the cold > > start system, there is a fifth fuel injector that may be damaged. Another > > possibility is that the rest of your injectors are not functioning properly. > > > > If you have any questions email me, dfilcoff@stlnet.com or the Vanagon mailing > > list, vanagon@lenti.med.umn.edu . If you want to subscribe to the list go to > > http://www.vanagon.com and look in the "mailing list" section. > > > > Dave Filcoff > > dfilcoff@stlnet.com > > http://home.stlnet.com/~dfilcoff > > 87 Vanagon GL Wolfsburg (121k) > > > > >Somebody here must've had this prob besides me... > > >Engine will sometimes assign its own (higher) idle speed at random. > > >Accompanied by rich running and black smoke. Worse in winter. > > > > > >Since prob is intermittant, my mechanic has almost never seen it. > > > > > >Anybody else ever had this? > > -- > Ed Gurney > 91 Vanagon Carat, 31K > > --------------------------------------------------------------- > > Part 1.2 Type: application/ms-tnef > Encoding: base64

-- Ed Gurney http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/ergurney/