Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 17 Jun 1997 08:56:21 -0600
From:         sdurrant@MosbyCH1.com (Scott Durrant)
Subject:      Re: Dead ly Serious Fun with Gasoline

Yeah, I heard about this too. A capacitor is the separation of two conductors by an insulator. Hmmm ... let's see: A steel truck A bedliner A steel gas can yep, that works.

I'm thinking even a plastic gas can could be disastrous if the pump isn't grounded just right. What are those gas pump handles made of?

---------- > From: Jeff Carver <CARVER_JEFFREY@aphub.aerojetpd.com> > To: Multiple recipients of list <vanagon@lenti.med.umn.edu> > Subject: Dead ly Serious Fun with Gasoline > Date: Tuesday, June 17, 1997 8:09 AM > > Been catching up on the weekend posts. Took me until Tuesday! > > On the subject of gasoline, I saw a notice at one of my local gas > stations that, while not of much direct VW interest, it may be for > those with malfunctioning gas guages, odometers, forgetfull, etc. > (you know, those situations that require getting additional gasoline > into you stranded vehicle, not that I"VE ever had this problem =8-0 > > There is a real potential for fires caused by filling gas cans while > tha cans are in a plastic bed liner in a truck (I suppose the same > could be true for those newer plastic station wagon liners too). > > Apparently the plastic bed liner can attain a sufficient static > electrical potential that the act of filling a gas can placed on the > plastic liner can initiate a spark, and boom, gas fire. > > DO NOT FILL GAS CANS IN THE BED OF A TRUCK WITH A > PLASTIC BED LINER > > According to the article (no reference to source unfortunately) > 23 people have died or been maimed as a direct result of doing this. > > For those who may think this is a hoax, I firmly believe that the > scientific reasoning behind this situation is believeable, and it > can't hurt to fill the can on the ground. Better safe than sorry. > > - Jeff > While it may not be a loss to the VW world to lose a few non-VW > trucks, it would be a shame to lose a VW owner in the process ;-) or > a neighboring VW at the gas station!