Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 17 Jun 1997 18:45:06 -0400 (EDT)
From:         WestyLuvr@aol.com
Subject:      Re: low compression on cylindar #3 of 2.1 liter

Subj: Re: low compression on cylindar #3 of 2.1 liter Date: 06/17/97 To: Karl_G_Vochatzer@notes.amrcorp.com

I just had my heads off to replace leaky gaskets on my 2.1. I used info in my Bently manual as well as the files archive at:

http://www.med.umn.edu:8853/misc/archives/Files/

then look under HOW-TO--- Head-Gasket-Replacement. You probably could just replace the valves on one side of the engine and get the compression back to specs. Chances are that once you get the head off you will find corrosion on it around the gasket area for this reason you may want to replace the entire head with a new one but as I found out the corrosion can be repaired quite easily. For info on this look in the files archive under HOW-TO-Head-Repair-With-J-B-Weld. I used this procedure on my heads. I just took it on a 3000 mile trip from Michigan to Florida and back and I am happy to report that this repair has held up wonderfully and saved me a small fortune. I hope this helps. Chris 86 Westy