Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 17 Jun 1997 21:21:48 -0700
From:         "Mark A. Rokus" <marokus@voyager.net>
Subject:      Re: Should i sell?

Just curious... did the heads or pistons get changed durring the rebuild? If so it may be that the compression ratio has been changed. In fact depending on exactly which parts were changed your compression could be changed radically. I'm right now re-doing my '81 because I got greedy and tried to get away with 8:1. even very cautious driving brought the oil temp sky high ( 310 degrees in the pan for you squemish) At first I thought it was a mixture problem and that the heat was from running lean. In the process of trying to get the fuel better I managed to overheat the heads and drop a valve seat. Shame too as these were my favorite 914 heads. There's more to the story as this is a stroked motor with FI and yes, before you all beat me up, I knew better than to let it get that hot. Greed is a terrible thing. Anyway, If they are high compression heads or pistons that came out of a 914, or you changed the stroke, even an oil cooler will not save you. BT,DT. This week mine is going back to 7:1 with a little more conservative dish in the pistons. Hopefully that will give redeem me so I can go camping again. If you are sure that none of these parts were substutited for the originals then I'm not sure what to tell you. Good luck and be sure not to push it until you find the problem or you WILL be buying new parts. Mark