Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         03 Jun 97 06:05:24 PDT
From:         CARVER_JEFFREY@aphub.aerojetpd.com (Jeff Carver)
Subject:      Heater Controls '80, was VW Cooling

Edward - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - When I turn off the heat into the cabin of my '81, I still get heat (but only in the summer, of course). I checked the cable and the 'top hat' and the little 'door" seems to be closing. If I can't get it to close correctly, what if I disconnect the tube at the control in back and let it vent the full diameter out. - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I, too, have this problem. I checked into it last weekend while my dash was disassembled to replace speedo cable and install oil temp guage.

Here's what I found. Although the door at the valve at the rear had room to travel, it wasn't closing fully. I checked at the other end. On my '80 (probably same on '81) the left side control has a rigid and reinforced 90 degree bend at the end to go into the level arm. the right side has an end much like a safety pin, with a couple of windings that go around the bend on the left control and a hook to fasten back on itself. This cable end is NOT stiffened, and not reinforced. Mine was bending and not pushing the cable through the sleeve, thus not actuating the door.

My parts bus had a throttle spring attached between the rear of the metal and the nut on the clamp at the end of the cable, to assist in closing the door. I tranferred them to my running bus. Seemed to help in closing door without kinking the cable.

I was able to force lube fluid through the right side, but not the left. I adjusted the best I could, and left it so that the travel on the right door is less that ideal, but still would close.

BTW, I used a motorcycle gizmo that clamps on both the sleeve and the cable and has a hole for a plastic nozzle extension for a spray can of cable lube that I also found at a motorcycle shop.

Disconnecting the tube at the back could lead to the vent system bringing in exhaust fumes, ack, cough, die, type of thing, so caution is in order here.

- Jeff