Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 18 Jun 1997 14:06:37 -0500 (CDT)
From:         Malcolm Williamson <malcolm@cast.uark.edu>
Subject:      Re: burning plastic

I believe that the simple answer to this question is "It depends on the plastic." Some plastics, such as polyethylene, are just hydrocarbons, and therefor basically give off water, CO2, maybe CO when burned. However, a good number of other plastics definitely have nasties in them. I believe vinyls would definitely fall into this category, and styrene (as in "styrofoam") may also. Urethanes are _definitely_ bad to burn and breath. The moral of this story: if you don't know what you're burning, and you or someone else is going to be around to breath it, don't burn it!

Of course, all of this is overlooking the fact that it is probably illegal to burn trash in your state. It is here in Arkansas, and we don't lead the nation in much! :) (Not to claim that people don't burn trash here....)

The real solution, of course, it to use as little as possible, and recycle as much as you can. 'Tain't easy, I know! -Malcolm Williamson