Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 18 Jun 97 12:39:11 PDT
From:         Al Knoll <alf@hpptc38.rose.hp.com>
Subject:      RE: Uniroyal Laredos from PC (Tire Deals in DC Area)

If these are the 195-75 UniRoyal Laredo LTs and you have a syncro you should note a few characteristics before you consider your purchase a done deal.

>From my excellent dealings with PC re this tire:

Hi Cheryl (Sheryl),

Here's the poop on the otherwise excellent 195-75 UniRoyal Laredo LT tires.

I have a 1989 VW Vanagon Syncro (4WD) Westfalia (Camper). In your reference guide the recommended tire for the Vanagon is the 195-75 UniRoyal Laredo. The rating for this tire is 1325 lbs MAX per tire.

The campervan in question has weight rating of 3000lbs on the rear wheels working out to 1500lbs per wheel. This is a bit more than the otherwise excellent tire is designed to handle. Don in your tire department researched the currently available tires to no avail (bad pun).

You have had in the past, the capability of ordering tires from Yokohama.

A suitable tire to replace the UniRoyal is:

The following are the specs on the Y370 that were in the FAX Yokohama sent me. The key is to tell your dealer to order tire #37047 to avoid the possibly of getting the passenger tire.

Yokohama Part No: 37047 Part No: LT195/75R14 8 Y370 XL OE BTL TL Unit weight 23.10 Tread Depth 11 Tread Width 5.3 Ply rating 8 Load Range D Measured Rim size 6 Alternate rim size 5.0-6.0 Inflated overall width 8.1 Inflated overall diameter 25.6 Loaded Static Radius 11.9 Loaded Revolutions per mile 818 Mileage Warranty Miles 40,000 Warranty Type A

Load carrying capacity is 1710 lbs at 65 lbs of air pressure, 1530 lbs carrying capacity at 55 lbs of air pressure, and 1435 lbs of carrying capacity at 45 lbs of air pressure.

This will handle the weight of the VW but alas, you have been directed not to do any special orders from Yokohama.

What I would like you to do is order a set as described above (I'll buy 5) and replace the UniRoyals. You should also update your tire reference manual to include a higher rating for Vanagon Campers.

Al Knoll (satisfied Price-Costco Customer since '85)

etc etc etc.

So trundle off to your local Moving and Stowage folks and gitcher syncro weighed in travel trim including passengers. Front axle then rear axle.

The weight numbers will dictate the grade of tire you require. I add ~20% safety margin personally but your mileage will vary (heh,heh). -- -- ___ / __ __/ ____/ Al Knoll HP Performance Technology / / / / / Center Roseville, CA, USA 95747 / _____/ / / 916.785.9453 (Telnet 785-9453) / / / / email: alf@hpptc38.rose.hp.com / __/ __/ ______/ ___________________________________/