Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 18 Jun 1997 18:31:08 EDT
From:         oldvolkshome1@juno.com (Old Volks Home)
Subject:      Re: IT LIVES! 84 Westy 2.1 Conversion Finally Completed!

Done Kane writes and asks:

>Congratulations! It's always a great moment when it actually runs >after tearing it apart and playing with it. > A couple questions. Did you use the 1.9 fuel injection or the 2.1? >Also, the same about the coolant hoses, water pump, etc. >Don Kane >dkane@mail.arc.nasa.gov

Don, Thank you.

To answer your questions:

I am presently using the 1.9 FI System with one exception - because I am using a 2.1 case, I had to use a 2.1 Center Plenum (which came with the core motor) as specified in the VW fiche and in Bentley. What they don't say in Bentley or the fiche is that you also have to use the 2.1 Intake Runners to the Cylinder Heads as well, but again they came with the core motor. The reason is the boot/sleeves for the 1.9 Plenum to Intake Runners are just a hair too small for the 2.1 Plenum, so you have to use the 2.1 style - but then these are too large to use with the 1.9 Intake Runners to the Cylinder Heads to clamp down suffciently to prevent vacuum leaks. Just something I guess you learn with experience.

As to the cooling system, everything from the 1.9 including Water Pump/Thermo Housing bolts/installs right in with no hassles at all. I did try to use the 2.1 oil cooler but could not adequately modify the existing 1.9 cooling system for the proper flow of coolant. At least not without extensively (and expensively) retrofitting almost an entire 2.1 cooling package, hoses, etc. So I pulled the cooler off and reinstalled the shorter oil filter nipple for now. Maybe I'll figure something out later.

I did want to install the cooler thermofan switch (251-959-481K), but I am finding it VERY DIFFICULT to find someone with a 29mm Deep Socket to remove and replace (No room for a wrench at all). But the existing fan switch is working just fine for now. Even Sears/Craftsman couldn't help on this one, so the next MAC or Snap-On Tools Truck I see will be flagged down to see if such an animal can be obtained.

BTW, although not mentioned, but questioned by others, the following new items weren't on the list but were also replaced with new:

**Main Bearing, Rod Bearing, Cam Bearing & Thrust Washer Sets **Piston/Cylinders (2.1) **Appropriate Gaskets and Seals

Figure I got about $1300 plus the original $1000 purchase price wrapped up in this adventure, including the new Fuel Pump, Rebuilding Injectors, etc., so far.

Thanks to Jon Hathaway and Unca Joel for their informative thoughts on the Tri-Electrode Spark Plugs. I will be throwing them in as soon as I can.

Went and got the insurance today. Only $290.60 for years worth at Farmer's Insurance Group, about 1/3 to 1/2 of what everyone else locally wanted. Includes Uninsured Motorists, etc.

DMV fees were $102 because of late reporting the ownership transfer, registration expiration. Got a Temp Permit for now because the smog test still has to be done.

Gonna have that done next week at Oasis VW Repair. Redding is not blessed (or cursed) with a Dealership, but Oasis is an "Authorized VW-Audi Repair Facility" and Chuck & Steve (the owners) know their stuff, very fair with their pricing and they know how to dial this thing in just right. Kudos to them for showing me ahead of time about a few tricks to bleeding the cooling system too. A lot of smog stations here in Redding don't like or won't touch a Vanagon. So I might pay a little more, but I know it will be done right. The reason for next week is that they're booked solid until Wednesday. Thas OK, I've been waiting 13 months - another week ain't gonna hurt. I'll drop it off at 8:30AM and take my mountain bike with me to take a leisurely ride up the Sacramento River Trail for a couple hours while they dial it in. Another reason is that the PO had screwed the CO screw ALLTHE WAY IN to the bottom, so I have no idea without a proper CO tester to know where to properly set it. I'll let the experts figure it out and go from there.

Again - Thanks To All

Jim Sherwood Automotive * The Old Volks Home PO Box 176 * Palo Cedro, CA 96073-0176 * (916) 221-5342 (Voice & Fax) oldvolkshome1@juno.com