Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 19 Jun 97 12:13:00 PDT
From:         IR Student <irstudent@campuspo.csuchico.edu>
Subject:      RE: Dometic - Have Flame - No Cooling

David, After spending many months of pulling apart my fridge and cleaning and pulling everything apart to see how it worked I did get everything running (gas, fans). After playing with it I have become very familiar with the design and operation of the unit. I have put my refrigerator back in my van. It works on the bench but gas still isn't cooling like 120V. I was able to get the fins to freeze on 120V but not with gas. I didn't actually check with a thermometer. On the 27th I'm going on a trip and after that I'll be able to report more completely on how it's operating. I do know that my thermostat is opening up for the second stage flame. When you fridge is running there is always a pilot light that is burning supplied by a bypass gas jet that is attached to the thermostat. When the cooling fins warm enough, the pressure sensor bulb which is in the refrigeration compartment expands and inflates a billow which opens the burner gas valve. When this valve is open the cooling will happen. In essence, it is dumping more gas into the burner creating a larger flame in order to heat more of the ammonia need for cooling. I would love to pull more of this type of information together in order to create a very complete and accurate archive on these Dometic refrigerators. I have some text material on these mobile refrigerators with excellent pictures explaining the whole process in depth. I don't have a scanner but would be willing to mail them to someone in order to do this. From reading this tread for about 3 weeks it seems that people really want to learn about this stuff. If you want to go straight to the source here is Dometic's address and phone. Maybe they have repair manuals or info. ( I haven't talked to them yet)

Dometic Corp 2320 Industrial Pkwy Elkhart, IN 46516-5407 219-294-2511

By the way, David, you said you paid $126 for a new thermostat. What did that include (part wise) and did that include labor to install? How did that come out. I know that it was only the 14th that you posted that but I'm intrigued. I know much of the stuff I just said you had already talked about previously. Not trying to be redundant, just trying to get it out in the open for others to read. Here are some good articles on Dometics that I found in our own archives.

http://www.med.umn.edu:8853/misc/archives/Files/Motorhome--Refrigerators-- -Avoiding-Meltdown

http://www.med.umn.edu:8853/misc/archives/Files/Refrigerator-Manual

http://www.med.umn.edu:8853/misc/archives/Files/Motorhome-mag-frig-batteri es

Keep that fridge chat up!

Blake Heinlein 83.5 Vanagon Westy "Toaster" (Not regarding it's speed, It just looks like one.)