Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 19 Jun 1997 20:03:56 -0400
From:         "Linda Bartnik" <lbart@preferred.com>
Subject:      Re: Vanagons for sale

Stephen (and everyone else)

I went and checked out the air-cooled Vanagon Westy today. The guy had an info sheet in the window, so I was able to get some good information on it:

It is a 1980 model It has a 10' x 10' side tent It is a California model (electronic ignition, oxygen sensor, and really really weird exhaust) It has 79,500 miles with 3500 miles on a recently rebuilt engine It has dual batteries It has A/C It has a new exhaust, new battery, new ECU, and new differential/rear end The interior looks very clean and nice. Rear seat/bed still has funky original upholstery, front seats have been redone or have been replaced with one from a later model, I can't tell. The speedometer looks like it is from a later model Vanagon too It has tinted windows. There is some very minor surface rust mainly under the rear window seals. I don't know how bad the rust is under the seal though. There are the standard minor dents and dings. The grille has a chunk missing out of it. I did not notice any lower body rust or seam rust The engine seal is missing. IDIOT owner apparently spends mucho money rebuilding the engine and then leaves out the damn seal. I'm not too impressed with him on that point and it makes me wonder.

I did not speak to the owner. All the above information was gained from observation and reading the owner-prepared info sheet.

He is asking $6500, which is way too high for this van. This is not a $6500 van. My van is in better shape and only cost $3500.

The phone number is (423) 283-7148.

I did not drive the van so I can't comment there. If someone far away is interested, call the owner and then we can arrange a meeting where I can go drive it and talk to the owner, etc.

Again, this van is in Johnson City, TN.

Sean

---------- > From: Stephen White <spw@users.anet-stl.com> > To: Linda Bartnik <lbart@preferred.com> > Subject: Re: Vanagons for sale > Date: Thursday, June 19, 1997 12:59 AM > > On Wed, 18 Jun 1997, Linda Bartnik wrote: > > > 3) An air-cooled Vanagon Westy that I spotted while making a pizza > > delivery in my '81. It's a bronze color w/ white pop-top. Looks pretty > > good, the grille has a chunk missing on the right side. I will probably go > > check this one out more thoroughly after work tomorrow. > hello there, > > I could be interested in this one, let me know what the scoop is. > > thank you very much, > > Steve White > > *************************************************************************** > A box of rain will ease the pain, and love will see you through > *************************************************************************** > spwhite@artsci.wustl.edu http://www.artsci.wustl.edu/~spwhite