Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 19 Jun 1997 23:10:19 -0700
From:         "Peter W. Stein" <pwstein@wenet.net>
Subject:      Question: ...releasing clutch and *CLUNK-INK noise occurs

Working out some bugs in the syncro and was curious if an audio definition of a problem would garner a few answers...

Looking to locate/resolve a "clunk-ink" or a "clunk-ink-ink" that occurs in the powertrain during 1st gear clutch release/acceleration. Not everytime, but especially when I'm easing out with very little gas.

I have a leaking (probably dry by now) CV boot on the rear right wheel, and no obvious play in the long drive shaft's joints. The sound reminded me of the noise an old U-joint makes when engaging. Had a 78 Dodge 4wd that made a similar noise, but it was so ugly (and a diesel to boot!) that I just considered it a "rough, Alaskan, mean-ass Truck noise.

Any obvious points you might suggest? (I know that repairing the CV & boot is a priority) I guess I just want someone to say: "Mine made the same noise and it was the CV joint and went away forever when I replaced it." or "Tighten your driveshaft bolts to 50 ft/lbs and it disappears"

Anything similar? -- Peter W. Stein * '86 Syncro Westy "Illy" * pwstein@wenet.net