Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         20 Jun 97 05:08:42 PDT
From:         CARVER_JEFFREY@aphub.aerojetpd.com (Jeff Carver)
Subject:      Rear Camber Adjust Q's '80

While adjusting the self-adjusting brake shoes on my '80 I saw the opportunity to attempt to adjust the rear camber. According to Haynes & Bentley the large bolt simply needs to be loosened, a screwprybardriver inserted to lever into another position and bolt tightened. However, they don't take into account reality.

The reality is that the nut came loose easily enough (I've been Liquid Wrenching it occasionally just for this occasion). Prying moved the inner side of the bolt only. The head of the bolt didn't budge. I was able to slightly rotate the head of the bolt, but I stopped as it appeared that it was tightly coupled with the rubber bushing and was torqueing it. Hammering on the threaded side of the bolt (nut in proper protective position) didn't change things, and neither did hammering on the head of the bolt itself. Afraid to really wail on the bolt head. I was able to get the washer to move slightly (confession mode/ with vice grips /off). But still no movement of bolt. I did find a small rock under the washer in the bottom half of the inner slot, but no access to check outer.

Questions - Is the outer half of the hanger slotted like the inner? I can't verify as the washer is large and may be covering the entire slot like the inner one was. (I suspect that it IS slotted)

Is the bolt supposed to be free to turn within the rubber bushing? (I suspect that it should)

Now what should I do? Any ideas?, and no I can't fit a 16lb sledge in there to *assist* on nudging on the threaded end of the bolt! Hit it harder is in my vocabulary, but . . . . . . . . . I wish it wasn't.

- Jeff '80 Westi