Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 20 Jun 1997 11:30:43 EDT
From:         uvx196@juno.com (Jim Thompson)
Subject:      Re: '90 Westy water tank float

On Fri, 20 Jun 1997 08:23:22 -0500 Lawrence Johnson <ljohnson@halhinet.on.ca> writes: >Harry Yates wrote: >> snip >> Removing the float assembly, and leaving it connected to the wiring >> harness, I ran the float along the rod and the problem was >> reproduced. Again, an intermittent problem. It would run through >> the various levels correctly, and then sometimes stick on green. >> I've played with the wires, and everything is tight, and clean. >> snip

Then Larry Johnson writes: >Our '86 Sycro Westy (Canada specs) does not have a float mechanism >(that >I can find). Instead there are four (or is it three?) electrical >contacts on the side (through from the outside) of the water tank. >When >the water level is such that two contacts are covered, the circuit is >complete and the sensor light is lit. >Larry >

The float mechanism that Harry Yates described was used in Westys 88-91. About $72US from Volkswagen. Order Part Number 255-070-812. And you've really gotta look hard in the Camper film to find it - it just doesn't jump out at ya.

As to what Larry Johnson described above, Westy's from 80 thru 87 used the "sender lug" contacts along with an electronic sender box to send the signal to the LED plate. Sender Lug PN 253-070-569, Sender Box PN 253-070-568

Hope this helps all :-)

Jim Sherwood Automotive * The Old Volks Home (oldvolkshome1@juno.com) 84 Westy 2.1 67 Bus 21 Wdw Deluxe (Original Owner) (SOLD!) 62 Beetle (Father Was Original Owner)