Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 20 Jun 97 13:03:02 CDT
From:         hgmueller@hydro.mb.ca
Subject:      RE: Dometic - Have Flame - No Cooling

Just an update on my experiences with my 85 Westy.....

Got the propane going after m-a-n-y tries....probably 20-30 minutes of pumping and clicking. Couldn't see the light in the bottom left corner of the fridge without pressing a cardboard tube against it to keep out extraneous light. Now it lights fairly easily. Have not gotten it to work on 120 or 12V.... hopefully can get to trying it again this weekend. Harry (85 Westy) ------------- Original Text >From: IR Student <irstudent@campuspo.csuchico.edu>, on 97/06/20 12:53 PM: To: "Multiple recipients of list" <vanagon@lenti.med.umn.edu>

-----Original Message----- >From: Malcolm Williamson [SMTP:malcolm@cast.uark.edu]

Hey, Blake After reading your great fridge piece, I thought I'd see if you had any ideas about a problem I'm having. I'm a new Westy owner ('87), and my unit doesn't seem to work in _any_ mode. I haven't really focused much on

the propane mode, so I can't swear that I've ever actually gotten it lit;

however, the simple fact that it doesn't get cold on AC or DC suggests some overall problem to me. Any suggestion on where to start looking? I'm

a fairly competent mechanic/electrician, just haven't torn into it yet. Thanks, -Malcolm Williamson There is a three prong plug in the back behind the refrigerator that can be reached by going through the side compartment on the right under the sink. There isn't much space for hands and you may have to take off the face plate of the fridge which the door is mounted on,(4 screws and a tongue and groove on left side), to see what you are doing in the back. Look over the top of the fridge where all the controls are. Before you do any of this, Check to see if your fridge is plugged into the 120V outlet under the sink and also check the circuit breaker (left of fridge by the bench seat by the other 120V outlet) to see if you are getting the power to the outlets when plugged into the house. The easiest way to get your fridge cold is the 120V. It's fast and hassle free. Just flip the switch and turn the dial to high (clockwise). I hope that your fridge and cabinet system in you 87 is somewhat similar to my 83. Let us all know what is happening with this project, I'm sure we'll all be glad to help on it.

-Blake Heinlein 83.5 Westy "Toaster" (it's all in the looks) n