Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 20 Jun 1997 15:28:24 -0500
From:         Bruce.B.Wood@hanover.valley.net (Bruce Wood)
Subject:      02sense worth

VOLKS: I just picked my '84 Westy up from our local German auto mechanic/vanagon enthusiast and found out: 1) the coolant leak that had me petrified last week wasn't a coolant leak after all; 2) that the blinking red light that had me equally worried was in all likelihood an intermittent temperature sensor; 3)that all systems look fine and there's absolutely no sign of any head gasket damage or leakage. Knock on wood. :)

With those worries behind me, I decided to finally do something about the blasted 02 light that came on two years ago at 60,000 original miles. (I've kept a penny standing up in front of the light to block it from view since then.) The archive I've been keeping of helpful information culled from this list suggested how to turn the little bugger off and it proved remarkably simple even for a mechanical dolt like me. (Joel Walker's original instructions for the procedure are quoted below for anyone inspired to do the same.)

The wealth of information I have gotten from this list regarding a small oil leak, my coolant concerns, the 02 light, water faucet and fridge problems, heating controls, awnings, pop-top gasket and more has been invaluable. Which is why I FINALLY got around just now to sending off my donation to help keep the list going. I hope others who have been procrastinating will do the same because this list is truly a remarkable asset to all bus owners.

Keep up the great work everyone!

Joel's instructions re. turning off the 02 light: > >there's a little black box, in the speedo cable ...it's about bumper >level, just to the left of the spare tire. follow the speedo cable up >from the left front wheel. you should be able to get to it without >lowering the spare tire. > >anyway, on this box, there is a button, hidden down inside a "tube" or >shield. push that button (with a screwdriver or pen or something) until >it "clicks". you should hear/feel it click, but it might not be a very >loud noise/feel. that should reset the gizmo and the light will turn off. >you MIGHT have to click it two or three times to get it reset.