Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 21 Jun 1997 10:50:22 -0400
From:         "The Bus Depot" <list@busdepot.com>
Subject:      Re: 4th of July trips?

> Karl Bloss wrote: > > > > What's ever'body doin' over July 4th weekend? Any trips in the > > making?

There is a great music festival in Jamestown, NY (near Erie, Pa) called the Great Blue Heron Music Festival that takes place anually over the July 4 weekend (Friday through Sunday). My wife and I go every year. Wide variety of music: folk, rock, bluegrass, world music, blues, native American, you name it. Mostly regional or out-of-the-mainstream acts, although some now-popular bands like 10,000 Maniacs and Rusted Root started out playing at this festival and/or it's sister festival two weeks later in Ithaca, NY (The Grassroots Music Festival, equally recommended). There are also crafts booths, workshops, kids events, and more. Both vehicle and tent camping are available on site, which is rather scenic, with lots of open space, big trees, and a big lake right in front of the camping area (swimming allowed). The festival is small and not terribly crowded. Admission is around $40 or so for the weekend as I recall, including camping. This year Stefan Ufer from the Type 2 list will be meeting us there; I don't know of any other list members going but there always seem to be at least five or ten Westies there. There is a website for the festival; not sure what it is offhand, but I'm sure you could pull it up with a search engine, or let me know if you need me to find and post it. Evon and I drive about 6-8 hours to get there every year, and it's easily worth the trip. If you're anywhere near NY or Pa., I'd highly recommend it for a very relaxing and entertaining July 4 weekend.

By the way, about 1/2 hour from there is a small, private RV campground right on Lake Erie that Evon and I found by chance a couple of years ago, and now visit the night before the festival every year. Never very crowded (at least so far). You pull your Westy right up to the edge of a cliff overlooking the Lake Erie. There is a rickety stairway leading down to a small, secluded beach and a small waterfall on the rocks nearby. Really beautiful view from the camper, with the sound of the waves in the background all night long. Costs about ten or twelve bucks for the night as I recall. Don't remember the name of the place, but could give vague (but probably sufficient) directions to anyone interested.

-Ron Salmon The Bus Depot http://www.busdepot.com