Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 21 Jun 1997 19:43:46 -0400 (EDT)
From:         JoErnest@aol.com
Subject:      Re: burning plastic

I do agree with you about the unnecessary bickering and the "I won't camp with you" attitude. We all really ought to put this behind us.

The initial post from Martha was a request for information, essentially saying "I don't know the dangers of burning plastic, but enlighten me and I'll stop this practice." Marthas Post: "This subject has come up a few times in the past during campouts, but apparently we offended one listmembers enough this past trip to cause her to cry. I'd like to hear from you all (without this turning into some horrible emotional frenzy), especially scientific types like Joe, Ann, etc., who may have factual info to enlighten us." This request (see above) has been taken by others and blown out of all proportion. Over and over I have heard "I don't know any of you and I wasn't at Fremont peak" right before they launch into a tirade on how stubborn or inconsiderate Martha is. What is most ironic is that it is her efforts to be considerate that lead her make that initial post. There were a few responses, Ann's in particular, that answered the questions logically and scientifically. I myself have tried with limited success to limit my responses to the science of burning plastic. So many who weren't there have written so much about Martha's character or lack thereof. Those who were at the campout but not actually at the fire ring when these exchanges took place have also made numerous comments without actually having been there to know what happened. If you were to ask the people who were at the fire ring at that time you will find that: 1) Martha never said that she would burn plastic no matter what. 2) She never threw any one out of the group. She did however suggest that she herself might have to burn her plastics elsewhere, and likewise if others could not tolerate the practices of the group, they could protect themselves by not attending. 3) Martha, like most of us, was also unaware that her comments had driven someone to tears. The identity of this person was also not known to her. 4) Almost all the others who were at the fire ring during the conversation agree with Martha, and do not understand why this issue is being exploded by people who weren't even there. Just look at their posts.

As Martha has long since agreed to not burn plastics, what is the point of all this. Is this Political Correctness run amuck, or is there an underlying current here. Is this a personal vendetta against Martha? Or is she just a convenient scape goat. Why all the personal attacks? Many of us burned plastic, but have not been attacked (this is not an invitation :). I realize that what I have said does not fit the thinking of the "mob mentality" and I have probably opened myself up to personal attacks.

I had hoped that this issue had gone away, but as it lingers, I have to ask, are we all so sensitive that we are attacking each other over the burning of a few plastic bags. Conversely, how is that we have all become so hard hearted that only one of us wept over the same issue.

Just trying to steer us to reality and back together.............. JoE