Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 22 Jun 1997 04:45:00 -0400 (EDT)
From:         Oxroad@aol.com
Subject:      FI Vacuum leak 83 Westy?

My newly purchased 83 Westfalia idles rough. The spark plugs, wires, and ignition distributor cap seem to be OK. It has a rebuilt water-cooled engine (or actually long-block) with allegedly about 1,000 miles on it (digi-jet FI ). The idle isn't steady and it rocks pretty good when it idles.On the highway and at higher revs it runs steady with no problems. It has never back-fired. Although it might smell like it runs a bit rich. There is no visible smoke.

There is a slight exhaust manifold leak which I am in the process of correcting. Since the manifold is attached with only one bolt instead of the required two, and some other shoddy work, my guess is the engine was installed by someone not interested in doing the job too well.

The timing seems OK although the rough idle makes it uneven.

I did have a problem today where the engine wouldn't start because a cluster of brown wires was not correctly grounded to the engine case or head. I tightened that connection and it started but still idles the same rough way. (thanks to seeing a post from John Fleming on the list it seems these wires are related to the fuel injection so I will go back and clean them)

I'm not well versed in fuel ingestion, ah that's fuel injection, but it seems to me my problem may be a vacuum leak, or several. I'm wondering if the hoses covered with the braided fabric (approx. 1" diameter) between the air distributor and the manfolds could be the culprit. The fabric on that hose looks pretty weathered. When I use a piece of rubber hose as a stethascope I can hear air or suction at the joints where the hose attaches to the air distributor. This may be a normal sound, I don't know. It seems to me if there were a vacuum leak I would hear a whistle. (?)

Also when I disconnect some one of the smaller vacuum lines to the ignition distributor there is no change in the engine. With my limited knowledge it seems like disconnecting this line should change things a bit especially if I don't cover the remaining hole. One vaccum line to the ignition distributor does step up the engine speed quite a bit at idle.

(I should mention it has an after-market cruise control-- manufacturer unknown.)

Anyway, can anyone tell me how to check for a leak at the air distributor where it meets the hose, and if replacing this length of hose is as simple as it appears or will I need to separate the manifolds from the heads?

TIA Jeff 83 Westy