Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 22 Jun 1997 11:24:38 -0700
From:         Ari Ollikainen <ari@interserve.com>
Subject:      Re: performance tires

>> "I'm thinking of going with 225/60-16 myself. Higher load rating than >> stock 205/70-14 reinforced. Where can I get rims?"

[snip] >Sure sounds like a good idea.

Load ratings are NOT everything! The cross-section and rim-to-pavement dimensions are important in determining ride comfort and/or handling capabilities... Vanagons (and EVs) as well as other vehicles with a higher than boy-racer center of gravity combined with fully independent suspension, produce dynamic lateral sidewall loads that call for stronger sidewalls and tire costruction which can deal with the sidewall flexing. Boy-racer tire solutions are generally of the genre of a wide footprint and larger wheel to compensate for the reduced distance between rim and pavement due to the numerically lower aspect ratio (tire height/tire width).

Give some thought to the use you are going to put your vehicle to before going down this route...

'91 Westfalia '91 Carat

(ex)'85 Westfalia (ex)'85 GL (ex)'81 Westfalia (ex)'73 Westfalia (ex)'71 Camper (ex)'69 Westfalia (ex)'66 Westfalia