Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 23 Jun 1997 16:30:01 +1000
From:         "Jack Newton" <johnn@triode.net.au>
Subject:      Re: performance tires

>> > "I'm thinking of going with 225/60-16 myself. Higher load rating than > > stock 205/70-14 reinforced. Where can I get rims?" > From: Mike Catlin > Did anyone have an answer? Has anyone tried this?

Hi Mike My '89 Transporter has 225/60 R15 96H Falken tires on Borbet 7Jx15 H2 alloys wheels. The tires are steel belted radials with tread build of 2 polyester, 2 steel and 1 nylon plies; max load is 1250 lbs at 36psi max pressure.

Standard tires for the Transporter are 185 R14 C6 PR99N or 205/70 R14 97R on 51/2Jx14 rims.

BTW I can find no information on tire pressures for the 225/60 tires. I am also informed by my friendly mechanic that for Australian outback driving (where it's possible to be out in the desert hundreds of miles from the nearest garage) to change over to standard rims and tires as alloys can get damaged on some of the dirt roads.

Any advice on the behaviour alloys on dirt roads or on tire pressures would be appreciated.

Jack Newton Sydney Australia '89 Transporter Safari Camper