Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 23 Jun 1997 04:50:40 -0400 (EDT)
From:         JordanVw@aol.com
Subject:      Goodbye, Litchfield Bug Inn...

Just got back from the Litchfield Bug Inn, Man...it was HOT as a Mutha!! ... PHEW!! Kinda weather where sweat drips into and stings your eyes... sunburned like a beet... It was threatening rain a couple times, but held off sans a few sprinkles. Prolly woulda helped cool things off though... Left sat eve, and in our usual ill-planned last minute search for a room took a wrong turn off rt. 202/7 but because of that, we were able to find a motel w/ a vacancy.. (it was a dive, I pulled back the sheet on the bed, and there was a cricket sitting on the pillow... annoying little bugger chirped all night..) Looking Glass Hill Campground was booked as usual. Anyway it was better than sleeping in the front seat of a loaded bus in the parking lot of the Inn... We were vending, so we got up and got to the Inn early, and were directed into our spot... (I'll bitch about that later...) and locked up and walked around to "git some good deals" :<) I picked up a few good deals, a complete split bus washer bottle w/ button for 7 bucks, a really nice set of splitty fried egg lenses for 15 for the pair (not even "de-silvered"), Vanagon trailer hitch, and a few more goodies.

Later I walked around the show area and there were more Buses/ Vans there than last year. The earliest was that tu-tone tan '56 westy hatchtop (nice!!) up to a new Eurovan Rialta, and everything inbetween. Talked to a few listmembers who were showing their vans/buses. Type2 and Van turnout was great. Too bad it will soon all be history... The Litchfield Inn changed ownership the year before last. The PO of the Inn was into VW's and that's how it all came about in the first place. The new owner apparently wasn't told until right before the show last year, that there was going to be a VW show held on the Inn grounds. That didn't go over too well, but the show went on as planned last year. Obviously this year the Inn is trying to send a hint that they dont want the show held on Inn property anymore. Upon arriving the grass was at least a foot or more high, and the whole field was dug up in various areas, as "apparently" they are getting ready to build something in the already crowded show field area. (they had to turn vendors and then show cars away at 300 count) Our spot just happened to be in the freshly harrowed rocks and dirt. We ate dust all day Hot dust. Yuk. :<P Second thought, It's good it didn't rain..... we woulda been eating mudpies instead... Anyway, i talked to the event planner, and the show is "tentatively" scheduled to go on next year, but if it does, it will be the last Litchfield Bug Inn, unless the show is moved to a different site.

Oh, well... It was fun anyway... I guess there's always the Terryville Ct. show to take it's place.....

chris