Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 25 Jun 1997 10:34:01 -0500 (CDT)
From:         Malcolm Williamson <malcolm@cast.uark.edu>
Subject:      Re: tool question

I would drop this thread, except that there are obviously a lot of do-it-yourselfers on this list. So, please grant me one last digression. :) When I was looking at breaker bars, I actually bought the Craftsman bar and took it home. As it wasn't on sale, the price was higher than I would like to have payed. The pivot joint on the bar was irregular, making one side much weaker than the other. The finish on the handle was poor, with sharp edges that actually dug into my hand. After handling it for about five minutes, I decided that it was not a tool I could live with, and took it back.

Now, I have plenty of Craftsman tools, and am well-versed in their warranty, but there is no good reason to have to use bad tools, even if they will get replaced for free. A good tool should last your lifetime, and probably you children's as well, and it should be a pleasure to use. For those of you that are considering the purchase of hand tools, my advice is to examine them for both mechanical quality and for quality of finish. Many years ago, I splurged and bought two Snap-On tools, a 3/8"-drive long handle ratchet and a #3 Phillips screwdriver. I have _never_ stripped out a screw head with that screwdriver, because it actually _fits_ the screws tightly. The ratchet is just a pleasure to use, because the handle feels so nice. Laying under a car is not as bad a chore when you have good tools to use!

As a side note, Craftsman tools were getting pretty bad for some time, as Sears appeared to be making them cheaper and more difficult to break. As an example, some box end wrenches that I bought about 10 years ago have much thicker rims than those my father bought 30 years ago. As a results, they won't fit in as tight locations. However, it looks to me like Sears has been improving their quality in recent years, probably as a result of more competition from other tool sources. I definitely will still consider Craftsman tools.

No, I'm not a professional mechanic, but I've owned 28 cars and 8 motorcycles in my 38 years! Just a glutton for punishment, I guess. Thanks for your patience, -Malcolm Williamson '87 Westy (vehicle #28!)