Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 16 Jun 1997 11:57 -0600 (MDT)
From:         BLAINE_BACHMAN%PL-01M3@ccmail.plk.af.mil
Subject:      Skylight (Westfalia) replacement questions

All-

First, I've been over to the archive, and an answer to the upcoming question was not readily apparent.

My '91 has had the skylight replaced with a 14" square RV roof vent that sticks up at least 3-4" above the roof line. In order to do this, the pop top has obviously had surgery. Consequently, there's little if any hope of ever making it "right" again (although I can cut the section out of a rolled Westfallia at the wrecking yard for $20, I'd still have to replace the $100+ cover, and who wants to do all that fiberglas work?).

I've fantasized that I might be able to find a suitably-sized flush mount aftermarket sunroof, but the best I can do is a 14"X 24" or 18"x 22" unit, both at somewhat over $100.

Has anyone seen a small square unit of this type?

Barring that, does anyone have any *practical* experience in a conversion of this type? I'm sure it's techically doable (as long as the curvature of the roof can be maintained). Big question is, would a 14-by-whatever hole in the poptop be a serious compromise in the durability/reliability of the roof as a whole? Even with the sunroof securely in place?

(What I'm looking for is someone who, with the authority of experience or good science, will stand up and wail, "Oh my god, don't do it!")

TIA

-Blaine (hoping someday to park "it" in the garage)

BTW-If I go this route, there will be a good velcro-attached skylight screen/cover available, but don't be tempted to tell me a fib just to get it.