Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 21 Jul 1997 23:43:39 EDT
From:         Jim Thompson <uvx196@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Trip(s) Report - 2.1 Engine Break-In

I've been living out of a small suitcase now for the past 3 weeks and enjoying every minute of it.

One of the things I have missed while "trapped" at Bus Boys was not being able to take the time and go to sell and buy parts and "press the flesh" at the various VW shows held on most any weekend from March through October. Now I am FREE and have the Westy to do it with. Since this is my first Westy I've ever had, I've had to become creative about packing my wares without damaging the still very nice interior.

Before going to the Placerville, CA show on the 6th, the fresh 2.1 rebuilt had only a couple of hundred miles on it, but everything looked like all systems go. Rex Eastman of Sunbugs fame came up the day before to pickup up my Bus that I had sold to him and we caravaned together down the 200 some-odd miles to the show site. Gawd, this thing is COMFORTABLE and handled quite well what with the load of display cases and boxes of parts packed to the "gills". Stayed the night before and had a good time seeing people I hadn't seen in a couple of years. Coming back was great too, as the engine did not skip a beat the whole way. Mileage averaged at around 14mpg, which I figured wasn't bad for the load and the auto trans. Not a bad shake-down trip. And for a small local show, a lot of nice people with a nice range of VWs.

Did my Oil (Valvoline 20-50 Racing) and Filter change at 779 miles to start fresh for the next trip. No leaks anywhere. All connections appeared good and solid.

Following weekend was the Boise Bus Pilots Show in (where else?) Boise at the old Boise Train Depot. 1100 miles again fully loaded down with an average of almost 16mpg. Took CA 299 up to Alturas which is about 145 miles from Redding. Some decent grades and took some at 40mph in D2.. Didn't hiccup or skip a beat there and was encouraged by this reliability. US 395 between Alturas, CA and Burns, OR has to be world's loneliest road I've seen (so far). Stopped at a rest stop about mid-way between the two points for about 20 minutes to stretch my legs and only one pickup truck came whizzing by. Made it into Burns and set across the Southeastern Oregon wastland and farmland towards Ontario. Nice open country, real picturesque in the late afternoon. Able to do 70mph on the flat with plenty of gas pedal to spare. Got into Boise that Friday night and bunked down. The swap meet the next morning was small in size but quite a few people in attendance. Scored on a few trinkets and sold a bit of stuff I brought along as well. Next morning (Sun) set up at the Depot with quite a few nice vehicles in attendance to include and electric-powered Karmann Ghia with the license "120VOLT". A good sized row of Breadloaf and Vanagon campers, a lot of them of the Riviera, ASI and other aftermarket types, more so than the Westfalia. Left Boise in the afternoon to get back home, stopped at about 10:30pm at the aforementioned Rest Stop to pop the top and sack out in the top bunk for 5 hours. One nice thing was that this rest stop had no electricity, thus no lights and only one other 5th wheel camper parked for the night - nice and quiet. First time I ever bunked in a poptop bed. Nice and comfy. Slept like a log. Up early and about 10 miles west out of Alturas, it started missing. Stopped and quickly unloaded the very rear end and popped the engine cover, checked the new plug wires - OK there - then checked the injector plug connectors - Ah - #2 wasn't working. Pulled to inspect - terminals looked fine but I went ahead and blew it out, reconnected and she started purring again. Checked the other 3 connectors, they were fine. Headed on home to return a couple of dozen calls on the machine and answer E-Mail for parts. Trip was practically flawless with the temp gauge needle almost always just left of the LED. On grades, the needle would hover just to the right of the LED.

Went to LA for the Pomona Swap Meet this past weekend. Again, checked the oil and coolant levels and other stuff and everything looked like a go, so off I went south on I-5 and CA 99. About 70-75mph on the flat. The infamous "Grapevine" just north of LA has a 6 percent grade for about 5 miles (for those not familiar with the "vine"). Had a slightly heavier load than when I went to Boise and the ambient temps were a little warmer too, even for a Friday evening (I was staying at a friend's house in North Hollywood). Again, 40mph in D2 most the way up to the Tejon Pass at 4,144 feet at the summit. Temp needle was a little farther over to the right of the LED but she took it like a champ. Pomona on Sunday (stayed on the site Saturday night) was typically slow for for the July event, but I found a few things for customers and sold quite a bit of stuff too., so it was worth going (the next one is Aug 24th). Coming back over the "vine" late afternoon Sunday is a little bit of a longer trip at about a 5 percent grade in the longest stretch of about 7 miles. About 1200 miles round trip for this one.

So with a little over 3000 miles on this engine, a lot of it in high 90's and century-mark weather, I'm pretty happy with it's performance and reliability. After an Oil and Filter Change this week, she should be ready for the next trip.

I still look for the clutch pedal, it's such a hard habit break :-)

Jim 84 Westy 2.1 62 Beetle (Father was original owner) 90 Fox Wagon Sherwood Automotive * The Old Volks Home (oldvolkshome1@juno.com) (916) 221-5342