Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 23 Jul 1997 20:16:52 -0400
From:         SyncroHead@AOL.COM
Subject:      Re: Octane Rating for Waterboxers

In a message dated 97-07-22 13:23:51 EDT, JWALKER@UA1VM.UA.EDU (Joel Walker) writes:

> and, for example, in my local Alabama area, there are THREE suppliers or > distributors of petroleum products (oils, gasolines, grease, etc) from > ALL the petroleum companies in this country. so Friday Oil Co. (one of > the locals) will come out and fill up the Shell Oil station, but they > also fill up the Exxon station and the Texaco station. Wyatt Oil Co. > fills up Amoco, BP and Unocal. Hunt Oil fills up Parade, RaceTrack and > some other minor brands. but they all swap every now and then. it's not > uncommon at all to see a Shell truck at the Unocal station.

I am quite familiar with gasoline terminal rack (where the tank trucks fill their tanks) blending systems. I and the company I work for have provided computer control systems that do the gasoline blending and additive injection.

The companies I'm familar with here in California (Texaco, Shell, Chevron to name some) are very careful blend their fuels to produce the exact octane number that's displayed on the pump. The gasoline gets randomly analyzed here in CA so they have some incentive to blend to the proper spec. I don't know how it's done in Alabama though. Too little octane they get fined, too much and their throwing their money away.

While a Shell truck might fill the tanks at a Unocal station, they're still using "Unocal" gas (at least in CA) because they'll use Unocal's additive package. We've had to create quite elaborate additive injection systems to make sure that all the different fuel brands get their own additive package in their load of gas. Sometimes there are up to 8 or 10 different additive sets maintained at a terminal. Texaco trucks get the Texaco additive, Shell trucks get the Shell additive and so on. They typically have a generic additive (usually made by Chevron) to add to the independent station's loads. Also, the "generic" Chevron additive for the indepependents is clearly different than the additive used for Chevron's own fuel. All the fuels from a single terminal do have the base gasoline stock in common though.

In California typically each terminal rack will have tanks of raw 87 octane and tanks of raw 91 octane gasoline. These two are blended as they are delivered to each truck to create the 89 octane midgrade fuel. Almost all gas stations in CA have 87, 89, and 91 octane fuels available. These octane numbers use the (R+M)/2 method.

Regards, Jim Davis 87 GL Syncro 88 GL Wolfsburg