Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 24 Jul 1997 17:56:15 -0400
From:         mark keller <kelphoto@BRIGHT.NET>
Subject:      My two Cents on Subaru vs Stock w/ Nitrous

Suba ruba oohh.

My two cents on the swap is that I would be very interested to hear some 100K longivity testimonals of installed subaru swaps on Vanagons. I feel like I'm starting to preach on this, but it is important; the road horsepower, on a Vanagon is significantly higher than that for passager cars. This translates into say a Subaru engine that was stressed, to produce about 10 hp constantly, to it now being required to push 40 to 50 hp constantly. Also the Subaru rods must now care a greater constant torque load to keep "a pushin it's new home around." I cannot see this motor being a real long term swap option. It's horsepower at 130 is most likly above 5000 RPM. What horsepower your getting in the 2000 to 4000 Rpm range is what counts. BTW the motor's torque, how hard the motor can twist the transmissions input shaft, think of it as an isometric kinda exercise, at these RPM's also indicates its real world inprovement over the VW engine. But this is not the only option remaining.

I note a silence when technical engine related issuses are unearthed. I would like to ask a bunch more questions, but am not getting any response. I would love to research some of the questions I'm hearing, but the ole project bus is getting every minute I can muster right now. That's why I've been "silent" for a couple of three weeks now.

The Subaru's compression is like 10.5 to 1. Why not just do that to the VW engine. So you have to go to Premium gas, seems like the Subaru will want it to. Raising the compression has been done by either increasing the piston's dome, or milling the head. I know sombody out their know of other Vw ways. But it seems to be an overlooked option. T

I'll say that I've also thought of adding a nitrous oxide injection system. I don't think the van needs it most of the time, so I'm concerned about makeing it come on at a very narrow RPM Range. I've noticed that the van is not able to make any accleration on grades with the speed below 40 or so and the RPM in the 2000 to 3200 range. I believe the nitrous in that dead spot would help. Problem is probably due to the fact the engine' power at that rpm is in the 20 to 30 horse range, an not enough to do much good.

The concern I have is do the VW connecting rod journals have enough surface area to take the added horsepower an torque of a nitrous system? Intuitively I'd say no problem on the horsepower, since the nitrous is not going to be able pump up the horse power above the 90 hp mark. The real question is will the nitrous oxide increase the Torque above the 100 ft lbs of the engine.

If their is some encouragement as to this fix, I'll investigate it, since Summit racing is fairly close to me. I could talk and maybe visit for a lengthy discussion.

Mark Keller 91' Carat WLE It's Painted, now working on the body mouldings