Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 14 Jul 1997 04:05:59 -0400 (EDT)
From:         Oxroad@aol.com
Subject:      83 Fuel Injection fixed (I think):TY

Hey-

That pesky 02 sensor again!

Thanks to all the advice on my fuel injection problems on my 83.5 Westy. I disconnected the 02 sensor and the ilde was less rough.And the surging at idle stopped altogether. So I replaced the 02 sensor with the bosch unit and set the timing. And, well it runs pretty darn well. Not quite 100%. But I'll replace the spark plugs, cap, rotor, and wires, because I don't know when it was done last. And the plugs were pretty carbon fouled. Not only from the faulty 02 sensor, but I had a vacuum leak at the throttle body.

I also found the fuel injector at cylinder #3 was loose. So I replaced the mounting gaskets at all the injectors, and those seals. (the seals were dry and not replaced when the new long block was put in just before I purchased it. The DPO was more-than-willing to cut corners on the installation.) And I replaced all the dry vacuum line hoses.

Oh here's a question: Do I have to do anything with the electronic ignition since there are no points to gap?

Incidentally while I had the injectors out I figured I check them for that "cone-shaped" flow talked about in Bentleys. Because I didn't have a stop-action camera I just decided to let it go at the fact that fuel was coming out of each one. I mean c'mon. Is it me? That fuel squirts out so fast and is basically clear--and well it could have spelled out the answers to all of life's question and I'd still be in the dark today. (Which I am.)

Now we'll tackle the state emissions inspection part of the journey.

So thanks again for the help and support. I thought I'd be camping. But instead I'm learning. Ain't life funny?

Jeff 83 Westy