Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 15 Jul 1997 09:09:46 -0400
From:         nyquist@acsu.buffalo.edu
Subject:      the kids made it, Buffalo to CA

Just wanted to let those who might be interested know that my kids, and my '91 Vanagon (125k) made it from Buffalo, via several SW stops, and are now camping at one of those "skinny dipping" beaches on Monterey Bay. They are in awe of the number of Vanagons on the road in the West and the friendliness of all you Vanagoons out there. They hope to be headed up the coast soon.

Their only problem has been an occasional starting problem which maybe is the ignition switch. Sometimes nothing happens when the key is turned even after several tries. An hour later it will turn right over. The next day it will be fine. Camping in the mountains they resorted to rolling it down hill and popping the clutch to start it a few times. They are looking for a shop to check it out in the area but if anyone has any thoughts about this I'd appreciate hearing them.

Also, and please excuse my flat lander ignorance, is it reasonable to assume that the different elevations they have traveled through would cause the coolant level in the overflow tank to vary? They say it has been between max. and the top of the tank at times.

Thanks,

John Nyquist