Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 3 Jul 1997 17:02:43 -0400
From:         Craig Rogers <carogers@idt.net>
Subject:      RE: '86 still plagued! (was rich running)

Take heart, and be cool. I know it can be a bitch and I have had this problem. The thing is, I can't remember exactly what I did to fix it. I even put a new motor in and it still did it ( it had the head problem and a bad main bearing, so it needed one anyway). I didn't have a fuel pressure gauge that went high enough, so I replaced the pressure regulator. That didn't fix it right away, but after a lot of tweaking on the mixture adjustment, timing, etc., I was able to get it OK sort of. Since then, I discovered a bunch of other things wrong and since everything effects everything else, as you change bad parts, the synergy becomes different and everything changes. I had a bad ECU at the time. It was new from VW. I went through 3 of them before I bought a rebuilt from Bosch, and it's been going strong for 5 months. I also replaced the air box since then. It had a couple of small dead spots, but the temp sensor was more than 10 degrees off and I didn't think anything of it but, I discovered that I was getting much better mileage on my Florida vacation. It shows that everything has to be perfect or it won't work right. When I put that in, it worked much better overall and I was able to define the exact problems of each of the 3 bad ECUs (each had different problems). It was then that I decided to go with the rebuilt ( I didn't want to buy another ECU if that wasn't the problem after all. I SPENT MONTHS DIAGNOSING THIS ECU PROBLEM. I HAD SEVERAL METERS HANGING OUT OF THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT FOR THE ENTIRE TRIP TO FLORIDA!!!!!).

Just keep this in mind, I haven't cursed mine in months. I'm getting around 18 mpg (I even got 21 toodling in the hills), I'm not saying that it runs perfectly...yet, but it runs pretty good. I think that once I get around to replacing the aux. air regulator ( again) that doesn't open or close all the way, it may run very close to the unutterable P word. By the way, I'm running my timing advanced about 5 degrees with premium fuel and it has a lot more pep than at the stock setting. Good luck.

Craig Rogers Ineffable Audio Unity Inc. P.O. Box 512 Riverdale, NY 10471 (914) 378-1606 mailto: carogers@idt.net

'85 Wolfsburg weekender.