Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 21 Jul 1997 10:07:09 -0600
From:         Stephen Jones <sjones@TETONDATA.COM>
Subject:      Westy Purchase / Questions

Just wanted to report the I have purchased my first Westy from listmember Malcolm Williamson. Since I am located in Jackson, WY (anyone want to visit?) and he is located in Fayetteville, AR, we met in Tulsa, OK (I flew, he drove) where I purchased the vehicle from him. I want to thank the list for putting me in contact with Malcolm and allowing me to feel some modicum of trust in buying a vehicle over $1300 miles away.

So, driving from OK to WY allowed me to explore / experience my new Westy. Camped in Rocky Mtn National Park in CO on the way. While in the park, I encountered two small problems. First, whenever I left the Westy stopped for more than ~5 min, and then went to restart it, the Alternator and Oxygen Sensor lights would stay on until I revved the engine. This stopped happening as I dropped in Altitude (I was around 11,000-12,000 ft) and the temperature of the day increased. The manual seemed to indicate that this was normal for the Alternator light, but not for the O2 sensor. Anyone think that this is an indication of a potential problem?

The other problem that started around ~7000 ft after a long day of driving, was that at idle the engine would rev up and down ~50 to ~100 rpms, causing the vehicle to "surge" forward when stopped. This problem seems to get worse the longer I drive, but does not go away entirely. Any thoughts as to what might cause a problem like this? My first thought is the altitude change, as Jackson is at about 6500 ft. Solutions ?

Thanks, Stephen Jones Jackson Hole, WY (Welcoming visiting listmembers)