Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 21 Jul 1997 16:43:21 -0400
From:         Tony Moore <tony@MOORELAB.COM>
Subject:      FS - '86 Weekender FS soon!

Hi Volks,

Well, we ended up buying Lon Herman's '85 Westy and won't be needing our '86 Weekender, no more room at the inn! This van is the subject of many recent postings relating to "running rich" and such. We just bought the van in February, when it was in need of much care! Cosmetically it was great and unaltered, but it had been neglected mechanically. Since then, much has been done (witnessed and aided by the list!) to bring it to its current shape. Here's as complete a list as I can muster, I'm sure I'll forget something!

- 1986 Vanagon GL Weekender (no poptop) - 142K - Auto tranny - Dove blue metallic color - only a couple of very minor dings and chips which have been touched up, NO rust or seam rust. The paint is in great shape and looks great. No signs at all of any collision or repair. - Interior is in near perfect condition with rear cushion still there :-) Everything has been recently steam cleaned - NEW a/c compressor which will be freshly charged before sale - FI system thoroughly gone through! Either replaced or refurbished everything! - Engine runs cool, slightly below 1/2 when driving and just slightly above half when idling for extended periods, with the fan cycling as it should. We originally had the engine checked for head gasket leaks when we first purchased the van and all checked out well! - NEW radiator, thanks to me overtightening the bleed screw and cracking the aged and brittle plastic housing while explaining to my wife the importance of checking and bleeding the coolant, DOH! - auto tranny fluid replaced and works great! - brakes thoroughly gone over with new pads, turned rotors, and such - NEW rear shocks - NEW Michelin MLX (reinforced sidewalls, etc., etc.) tires, including the spare! - Blaupunkt AM/FM stereo - I'm not listing a price yet as I haven't decided, any opinions?

I'm sure there is a lot I'm forgetting. If anyone wants any more detailed info, p-mail me. My wife and I (and 5 of her students) took several 600 mile trips in the van without fail. The temptation of the Westy was just too much! Not to mention Melanie just bought a new Golk Trek to commute in.

Anyway, that's it for now. I'm sure there will be many more "adventures" with the '85 Westy!

--------------------- tony tri-state transporters '57 beetle '60 westy '71 rustfalia (in the paint shop!) '85 westy '86 weekender (the wife's :-) - for sale soon! see above '97 golf trek

"rusty or not the stars are just as bright and the campfire just as warm and the bed just as cozy" -len alcamo

http://moorelab.com/tristatetransporters.html http://moorelab.com http://bluejordan.com ----------------------------------------------------------------------------