Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 21 Jul 1997 21:46:10 -0700
From:         John Thomas <jthomas@CRUZIO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Camping Battery

I have also been doing some research on adding an Aux. Battery.

I started out being fairly confused. I read some of the notes about installing a 2nd battery

http://www.vanagon.com/info/faq/#electrical and http://www.vanagon.com/beethoven/electrical.html

Both talked about how the space was too small, but yet the VW parts guy and a couple of people on the list sent me notes saying that any Group 41 battery would fit and sure enough I took out my main battery today and it fit fine in the Aux. spot.

After talking to a few more people, I found where I was confused. The net articles had clearly said "Deep Cycle" but since that did not mean anything to me, it went in one ear and out the other. (or whatever the equivalent action is with reading computer screens)

Perhaps someone could post a good technical description of why a "deep cycle battery" is the best battery for an ax battery. My limited understanding is that it is designed for applications where it is drained completely and then recharged compared to an auto battery that is designed to be constantly charged.

So my questions are now: - Is a small deep cycle wheelchair battery really better than a top of the line Group 41 battery if one is normally not going to empty the battery. (we just want to have some extra security that we are not going to drain the main battery and be stranded. And having a 2nd battery for a jump start seems like a good investment. I am pretty good at leaving my headlights on.

- What bad happens when you use a std battery instead of a deep cycle battery. Does it just wear out sooner? One person told me that the deep cycle will recharge faster. Is that true?

- Is an Optima at $130 + really worth it compared to one of the above alternative (which seem to run about $55-70 at Sears)