Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 21 Jul 1997 22:38:21 -0700
From:         Bob Bellanca <bajatrvlr@ABAC.COM>
Subject:      Re: Camping Battery

>So my questions are now: > - Is a small deep cycle wheelchair battery really better than > a top of the line Group 41 battery if one is normally not > going to empty the battery. (we just want to have some > extra security that we are not going to drain the main battery > and be stranded. And having a 2nd battery for a jump start > seems like a good investment. I am pretty good at leaving > my headlights on. > > - What bad happens when you use a std battery instead of a > deep cycle battery. Does it just wear out sooner? > One person told me that the deep cycle will recharge > faster. Is that true? > > - Is an Optima at $130 + really worth it compared to > one of the above alternative (which seem to run about > $55-70 at Sears)

John, I'll take a stab at this one...

First of all, lets look at the difference between a "starting battery" and a "deep cycle battery". Starting batteries are designed for a lot of power very quickly. To this end, they are constructed with many thin plates. The plates are what react with the electrolyte to produce power, being an electro-chemical reaction. Also, being very thin, these plates have a very large surface area so's to regenerate quickly. They don't take kindly to prolonged discharge. They like to get in quick and out quick, then go out for a drink. Long duration discharging weakens the structure of the plates.

Now, lets look at a deep cycle battery...These are constructed with fewer, thicker plates. The design purpose and theory is less surface area but much stronger lattice work in the plates themselves. Basically more bullet-proof in the long duration use of an R/V. This doesn't mean you can't use a deep cycle battery as a starting battery for a small (relatively) engine, like a VW. I modified my engine compartment to accept a group 27 (120 amp hr) battery, in my diesel Westy. I don't know if this is an option for you Gas Guys, but it would be a good thing to look into.

Now let's see if we've covered everything...your first question, "is a wheelchair battery better"? Yes, for your house battery. Second question, Yes, it wears out quicker. Third,"is the Optima,etc", only if you want a battery that doesn't care how you mount it. Otherwise, I'd stick with an R/V battery you can pick up at any discount store ( Costco comes to mind), less than $50.

Good Luck, Bob Bellanca `81 Diesel Rabbit `82 Diesel Westy (soon to be 1.9L turbo, I hope) `84 Turbo Diesel Jetta