Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 22 Jul 1997 21:48:15 -0400
From:         GMBulley@AOL.COM
Subject:      Re: Weight of 2ltr air-cooled engine ???

In a message dated 97-07-22 06:45:35 EDT, ger@EI.ET.TUDELFT.NL (G. de Graaf) writes:

<< I wonder if it is possible carrying the whole thing with two people into a car and mounting and remounting it using a simple hydraulic jack. What is the weight of such an engine ?? >>

Having just weighed one, (cuz I was curious and had just finished the build and had a scale nearby), I can tell you that the LONG-BLOCK of the air cooled 2.0 is exactly 145 lbs. Once you add the alternator, heat exchangers, exhaust, cooling fan, shrouds, intake, flywheel, pressure plate, and all of the little screws that hold it together, I would GUESS at 350 lbs. One man can lift this easily. : )

Your best bet for lifting/moving this motor, for your spine's sake and for the sake of all of the junk attached to your motor, is to "field strip" the above named junk off of the motor prior to moving, and move all of the junk in boxes.

For your "simple hydraulic jack", MAKE SURE you have a rolling (trolley) jack as you need to move the motor around quite a bit to remove it. Before removal, think about removing all of the rear tin work, exhaust and bumper to make the hole behind and under the engine a bit bigger. You will be glad you did.

best of luck!

gmbulley fairfax, va