Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 22 Jul 1997 20:41:50 CDT
From:         Joel Walker <JWALKER@UA1VM.UA.EDU>
Subject:      Re: fuel line size

On Tue, 22 Jul 1997 09:48:15 -0600 you said: >1 - the archives say to buy 8mm(5/16") hose. >I know my fuel filter takes 7mm hose. >How much of each?

on my 88 bus, the sizes were 7 (or 8) mm for the vast majority of the hoses. i bought 25 feet. used about half of it. but i did have to redo one hose that i cut too short ... do one hose at a time and make the new hose about one inch longer than the old one. :)

the only hose that was different was the 10mm from the tank to the fuel pump. i got three feet of it, and used only about 18" of it.

>2 - I also need to replace one of the Y fittings on top of my tank. >I am thinking about replacing all the hose up there too while i'm at it. >Is this a good idea? >Do I need clamps for this hose? >What size hose do I use for this?

i did ... replace all the engine hoses, that is. :) i thought it was a good idea. but be careful!! that "ring" of hoses around to the fuel injectors and back to that "Y" has a lot of pressure. so be prepared for spraying fuel. yes, get clamps. and it was the 7 (or 8) mm hose again.

>3 - am I in for hell while doing this??

well ... no. not unless you make a spark or someone comes in with a lit cigarette. :) it's tedious and slow, but not "hard". just take it slow and easy, one hose at a time. and mop of the gasoline. and make DAMNED sure you get ALL the rags away from the engine BEFORE you try to crank the engine!!! :) and be SURE to check ALL the clamps while the car is running ... and shut it off quick if you see a leak.

it took me about three hours of piddling, looking, fiddling, and doing the replacement. the hardest ones to get to are the just-outside-the-engine- compartment, behind the rear wheels. they are WAAAAAY up high and just almost out of arm's reach from the ground. but go slow, and you can do it.

have a fire extinguisher handy.

good luck. joel