Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 23 Jul 1997 12:01:55 -0700
From:         Tim Smith <smitht@UNB.CA>
Subject:      Re: rad flush

Hi,

despite the NNOOOOOO list posting I've used the Prestone stuff on a plugged up '85 vanagon and an '86 Audi. Works fine, one year later in the '85. No unexpected heater core or rad leaks. DPO tried to seal major rust outs in coolant pipes with various crap. Flushing with water until it was clean helped, then I did the Prestone flush and got out masses of grey oily water. The rinse _did_ rinse out the system, way better than plain water.

In both cases I got a slight lowering in operating temps when moving, but much longer times before/between the rad fan cutting in when standing still at idle. Especially for the Audi. When I first tried it the garden hose could hardly push water through the rad. After the rinse it flowed freely. Lots of big rust flakes from Audi (took five rinses after flush to clear), lots of grey aluminium corrosion products from the vanagon. I used the liquid stuff, not the powdered crystal stuff, it looked too viscious.

I'd say go for it. Will be doing my '87 shortly. Make sure the thermostat is hot enough to open for each rinse, else you will just flush the engine and heater cores, not the rad. You can splice a T connection for flushing in up front near spare, into the heater hoses. I wouldn't leave it in, potential weak link. I just yanked off the lower rad hose to do mine however. Better.... get a bucket!

bye, Tim

'87 Syncro Westy '85 CrewCab