Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 23 Jul 1997 11:30:43 -0700
From:         Malcolm Holser <mholser@ADOBE.COM>
Subject:      Re: vanagon syncro

> Where in the North West (US) are the Tristar Syncro's available? Are > they imported via grey market or can dealers order them? Are they still > in production or did the Eurovan replace them (hope not). Truly a well > layed out site. I Bookmarked it and will return often. Thanks. > > Ed > There are two. One owned by Jeff Slater and one owned by Todd Francis. Several exist in BC (like another 3). This would account for 5 of the 18 that made it to North America. I have been told that one was destroyed in a train wreck, and one was kept by VW. That would mean something like 11 of these that I don't know about. So it is possible that one will come up for sale eventually. They hold value pretty well.

These were built between 1988(?) and 1991 only. It is probably not feasible to bring a non-Canadian one into the US, as the restrictions got intense around 1988.

The current Eurovan did replace the T3 model, which the TriStar was based on. As far as I know, the doublecabs are not being made in South Africa any more either (is this wrong? I only see the vans listed -- and not syncros, either). I do know that there are T4 doublecabs in Canada, but have not had much luck in finding out how they were obtained. VW dealers I've spoken with don't seem to want to talk about them. I don't think the current syncro model is offered even in the vans though. Somebody from Canada should elaborate. The T4 syncro is said to not be an off-road vehicle at all, but I think all T4 doublecabs have the four-doors, which, along with interior trim is the difference between a standard doublecab and a TriStar. Many DC options were standard on the TriStars, like the opening rear windows, and most TriStars were pretty loaded up with options, too. Jeff Slater's has A/C. Most have power mirrors/windows/door locks. All have upgraded upholstery. I am guessing, but suspect that the six-seat option was not available. My wife likes the six-seats better than the $12,000 door. I wish my DC was a TriStar, but it won't cost a lot to bring it up there minus the extra door. There are many options available for the T4 doublecabs, so it would be feasible to load one up to the moral equivalent of the old TriStar model.

I have heard conflicting stories on the Syncro TriStars. One is that all TriStars are syncros. I believe this is false, but perhapos all 18 of the NA ones were. I have been told that some of the 18 were automatics and not syncros as well, though. I don't know for certain, but I believe that the TriStars were made both in syncro and non-syncro form. All the TriStars were fabulously expensive compared to the standard DoubleCab, which might explain why so few were sold. I have heard that the TriStar cost nearly double in Canada.

Syncro Doublecabs are more common, and should be available with some determined searching. They, too, seem to hold value well, but are typically still worth half of what a TriStar is. I paid $13k for mine, a month ago. It had 70k miles, and spent it's life in California, and so has zero rust, and is pretty close to new condition. They might be somewhat cheaper in Canada.

malcolm