Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 23 Jul 1997 16:35:51 -0400
From:         Linda Bartnik <lbart@PREFERRED.COM>
Subject:      NEED VANAGON JACK PRONTO!

Hey all, You will not believe what happened today!

I was working on the '81, I first raised the front and put it on jackstands, then let the front down and raised the rear. I was giving the van a good inspection from the underside. That creeper that my grandfather donated makes it much more enjoyable!

Anyway, I had already let down the left rear. I was letting the right rear down when all of a sudden, POP! and the van went down about an inch or two really quickly.

"That can't be good" I thought.

I peeked underneath and found no signs of anything broken, so then proceeded to crank the jack. However, I noticed that my cranking was not being translated into downward motion on the jack. Well, now I knew what broke. I could also not crank the jack up. Closer inspection revealed that the vertical screw which does the raising and lowering had broken up at the top, where it attaches to the gear that attaches to the other gear which you turn with the handle.

So now I was stuck. I had no way of cranking the jack down and I could not remove the jack as the van was not lowered all the way.

I thought quickly and went to my place of employment (using my brother's car) and borrowed a hydraulic floor jack from them. That did the trick, I was able to raise the van enough to get the damaged stock jack out.

The stock jack is now scrap metal. It's not repairable.

So I need a Vanagon jack. Be aware that the jack for a Bus will NOT work with a Vanagon. The Bus has square jack ports while the Vanagon has round ones. The Vanagon jack part number starts with 251.

I'd like to get this ASAP, as I am now going to be paranoid about flat tires. I have a good spare, I have a great lug wrench, but I don't have a jack!!

Any help here would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Sean