Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 23 Jul 1997 19:55:37 +0000
From:         vwbus@NETBIZ.NET
Subject:      Re: Asbestos in VWs -- VWOA Denies it's a Covert Recall

Ken you might reply to her that your lists own resident mechanical engineer feels this is a total load of shit anyway because they are not replacing parts that could sensibly be used to sample for asbestos in the heating system. Having been the recipient on the '77, '81, and '78 now and seeing where asbestos was present in each it is clear that the actual place asbestos might be present would of course be down stream predominantly in the corrugated paper heater tubes would be my bet. If I was a VWoA engineer worth my degree I'd be leaving all the asbestos laden components alone and replaceing the main heater tube sampling the 15 years of accumulated sediment which will of course be present in any corrugated pipe. If this is clean no problem if not, well then you got liability issues. Removing and replacing the actual asbestos laden parts (seals on '73-'79, heater boxes on '80-'83) is really of no consequence and like most asbestos removal would have been better left undone. When contained the stuff is relatively harmless unless you were to remove the parts, particularly the seals, HOWEVER if indeed it was an asbestos mat present in the bottoms of my '81 boxes, it was in rather severly degraded condition and could well be spread through. The campaign and the response make no sense and don't hold water, but I sure enjoy all my new heater boxes, the only reason I jumped on the wagon.

John vwbus@netbiz.net