Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 01 Jul 1997 12:29 -0600 (MDT)
From:         BLAINE_BACHMAN%PL-01M3@ccmail.plk.af.mil
Subject:      Re: Lumberyard Carb Conversion

First of all - apologies to the list as single Weber carb is not really a Vanagon issue (unless you build a "penthouse" atop the engine cover). But since the conversation has continued, let's finish it off to avoid leaving any interested lurker in mid-sentence.

Malcom brought up a lot of good points relating to icing on the single progressive Weber setup for Type IV engines which I had frankly forgot.

I had my Weber-equipped beast in Fairbanks Alaska where it is decidedly cold in winter (-63 was the record while I was there), but thankfully dry. Still, icing was a problem to be dealt with.

I don't remember the exact details, but I do recall that I had a piece of front tin that had a plastic fixture for a pre-heater hose. It mated up to a duct on the front cylinder tin and allowed one to get some warm air off of the #1 cylinder. Whether this was a remnant from the original F.I. system (engine was originally in a 411), or i got it from a bus application, I don't remember. I rigged some sort of "box-in-a-box" air cleaner to use some of this pre-warmed air in winter.

I also used lengths of that slit foam water pipe insulation over the straight part of the manifold runners - seemed to help.

'Course, under extreme conditions of temperature and/or humidity, adequate warming-up before heading out also helps keep the icing under control.

-Blaine