Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 23 Jul 1997 21:29:01 EDT
From:         Jim Thompson <uvx196@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: cupholders

OK Ivan, ya just had to make me go thru 6 different Dealer Accessories Notebooks I've got, so here's the skinny

Perhaps I was a little ambiguous when I said in my previous post that this particular item sat on the top of the Dashboard. I have a picture (actually sort of a watercolor painting) in a 1981 dated Accessories Brochure (#W53 111 3008), "Vanagon/Pickup Accessories" that shows it sitting just to the right of the Ashtray. I have seen it several times in real life (what a concept!) and it appears to be about 15 inches long and about 4 or 5 inches wide. Caption on the picture reads: "Dash Tray: This thermo formed ABS plastic tray is specifically designed for your Vanagon's dashboard. Hold (sic) two beverage containers, toll money, sunglass and other small items for your driving convenience".

Beverage containers are of course soda cans, so I don't think they could hold the big coffee mugs we Americans treasure so well (I don't touch the stuff myself, can't stand the taste and I'm hyperactive enough as it is). Soda can/cup holes are at each end of the tray and has two "skinny" slots towards the front (FIF) and a singular larger depressed tray area between the can/cup holes.

Because they went to a built-up cover on the sloped portion of the dashboard top in 1985 (saw this on an 85 Poptop), this item may still or may not work as well as the slope is slightly different than just the sloped metal of the earlier models. Available in either two colors:

ZVW-163-101 Black ZVW-163-102 Brown

Part numbers of course are no longer in the VOA Price Book, so ergo, no longer available, at least in the USA. Anybody know if they're still available say like, in Canada or Europe?

To be honest I don't how well this picture/drawing will scan, but I'll give it a try and if I can get the Web Page finished this week (or next), upload and see how it looks. I've been doing a lot of re-grouping since being back from a 3 week road trip, so catching up on backorders and such have bitten into my time.

Jim 84 Westy 2.1 62 Beetle (Father was original owner) 90 Fox Wagon Sherwood Automotive * The Old Volks Home (oldvolkshome1@juno.com) (916) 221-5342

On Wed, 23 Jul 1997 15:59:59 -0700 (PDT) Ivan Boyd <boyd@unm.edu> writes: >I'd be interested in the results of your cause, although I'm unclear >exactly where these cup holder would sit in a vanagon - circa '85... > >Thanks, >Ivan > >On Wed, 23 Jul 1997, Jim Thompson wrote: > >> Date: Wed, 23 Jul 1997 15:20:44 EDT >> From: Jim Thompson <uvx196@JUNO.COM> >> To: Vanagon@GERRY.SDSC.EDU >> Subject: Re: cupholders >> >> Oooooooooo, luv to have that. >> >> Actually, I'm looking for the small accessory cup/change/small stuff >> holder that VW offered for the Vanagons. It mounted on top of the >dash >> and was made in black (other colors?) high-impact plastic. I >believe it >> came with double-sticky tape on the bottom to hold it to the dash or >> could be optionally secured with tiny sheet-metal screws (I'd hate >to >> drill the dash, wouldn't you?). Don't want it for just myself, but >would >> like to find a nice *MINT* one to use as a pattern to repro from. >Have a >> friend who's into plastics (The Graduate?) and could easily >vacu-form or >> whatever to make them. I've had a lot of customers in the past few >years >> looking for this. Anyone wanna donate for the cause? >> >> Oh well, I justa keep ona dreamin' :-) >> >> Jim >> 84 Westy 2.1 >> 62 Beetle (Father was original owner) >> 90 Fox Wagon >> Sherwood Automotive * The Old Volks Home (oldvolkshome1@juno.com) >(916) >> 221-5342 >> >> On Wed, 23 Jul 1997 14:20:51 -0500 Paul Henderson <pgh@UNX.DEC.COM> >> writes: >> >My Bus's DPO built a wooden shelf which runs from the instrument >pod's >> >right side all the way across to the right side of the dashboard. >Its >> >back rests on the dashboard (just in front of the defroster vents), >> >and >> >its front has hinges that are attached to the front edge of the >> >dashboard. >> >It is hinged so that one can get to the ashtray. >> > >> >The shelf has a raised border, so things laying on top can't roll >out. >> >And >> >it has six holes of various sizes for cans, bottles, coffee cups, >> >drink >> >containers, and hairbrushes. Also two tiny holes for pens. >> > >> >It is unpainted and stained with coffee but is tremendously useful. >> >Adds a bit of rustic charm to the interior. >> > >> >Paul Henderson >> >'84 Vanagon two-tone red/white (138K miles) >> > >> > >