Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 23 Jul 1997 19:40:25 -0600
From:         Macon Cowles <sealaw@NELA.ORG>
Subject:      Re: EV Norcold fridge woes

Andrew Mera wrote to me

>- can Winnebago/Norcold prove that the vent kit is a reliable fix, given >that it > only affects the air mixture? are they effectively just pumping more air > at the right location, is it a fix for all altitudes? The Norcold rep. > I talked to didn't seem to be too encouraging; what's more, she wasn't > commital about this work being under warranty > I do not know what the kit does, for it will not be installed until this coming Friday. However, this is being covered under warranty. And even though my EV is new, I will give you my legal opinion that this IS a warranty item, no matter what the age of the vehicle is. In law, we call the failure of the fridge to work above 4,000 feet as a breach of the implied warranty of fitness for a particular purpose: mainly, car camping above 4,000 feet.

>- what is the connection you seem to make between the main battery running > down and the LP alarm going on?

The LP alarm is designed to be fail safe. It is powered by the reserve battery supply, located in the rear of the EV. So that you will not be asphyxiated by propane without warning, the alarm goes off under two conditions: (a) in the presence of LP gas, or (b) when the battery which powers the LP alarm is running down. The rationale for the later is that it will fail safely. I.e., because the alarm would fail to sound in the poresence of LP when there is insufficient battery power to run the alarm, the alarm sounds when the battery is getting low in order to warn you of the low battery and that shortly the alarm will not sound at all, with or without LP. > >If we Eurobago owners don't get a fix, what can you, as a lawyer advize us >what to do?

While a class action is feasible, it would only be so if there are sufficient number of people who have been screwed to make the lawsuit worthwhile. I would peg that number at 500 or more.

>What can the NTSB of the FTC do? It is my understanding that Winnebago >doesn't >run its shop by the strict NTSB rules that auto makers follow, and that this >is not a safety issue; that they may try to get away with fixing >individual complaints when absolutely necessary; that VW may be more >concerned with the bad publicity than Winnebago.

It is not the NTSB, but rather the Consumer Product Safety Commission that receives complaints about consumer products, including cars. They have an 800 number in DC which you can get by calling 800 information.

Your proposed email campaign, with the model letter set forth below, is fine. Everyone with a complaint should lodge it with Winnebago and with the CPSC.

>MY proposed e-mail campaign letter to Winnebago Owner Relations > >To: Mr. Jim F. Woolridge <103506.1741@CompuServe.COM> >Service Advisor-Owner Relations, Winnebago Industries >cc: possibly to each of our local VW dealers and to other owners > >Subject: VW Eurovan 1995-7 Camper LP appliance reliability > >Dear Mr. Woolridge: > >Several Eurovan Camper owners have been exchanging experiences via the >Vanagon Internet List. You have been kind enough to intercede and expedite >when some of us had serious problems, such as Dan Herbert's roof, or Andy >Mera's refrigerator. We all appreciate it. However we wonder why these >defects or safety issues haven't made it into the NTSB or similar data bases. >Attached this time please find a list of problems having to do with the >following Winnebago conversion part: > >NORCOLD REFRIGERATOR NOT FUNCTIONING CORRECTLY IN LP MODE. >(Norcold claims that all 95-97 Eurovan Winnebago campers have their >fridge model #3163G) > >- Norcold refrigerator not starting on propane; burner ignites but flame > won't hold; several months of warranty headaches until the intermittent > problem was finally diagnosed: apparently the igniter wire to the burner > box had such light insulation, that it can short to adjacent metal; the > fix was to replace with more heavily shielded cable (at least 7 list > complaints known, 4 refrigerators now work much better) > >- on the proper setting of the thermostat knob; my appliance control board > shows START at 12 o'clock, no OFF position, the Norcold 3163 Manual > (also the Eurovan Service Training Manual) picture show OFF at 12 o'clock, > START at 2 o'clock; Norcold says the appliance diagram is wrong, START > really means OFF (!!!!), manual is right, for a successful start use > the 6 o'clock position, or max 11 o'clock position per Kevin Lindbloom > >- Norcold claims that all Eurovan Winnebago campers should have an "update > vent fan kit" (part #618074) installed > >- Norcold refrigerator in LP mode not starting or stopping at altitudes above > 5000 ft (at least 4 list complaints known); the Winnebago technician >mentioned > to me on jul.14.97 that the problem is known to Winnebago, and that the > installation of a "high altitude enhancement vent kit" (Norcold part #618960) > is recommended (given my headaches, I would say required), under warranty? > >- LP level indicators unreliable: for battery voltage indicator one should >turn > on a light or apply some other light load (3 list complaints) > >Cost to me, the owner: several trips to RV repair shop have added up to >two months' no use of the camper (fortunately compensated by a VW loaner car), >innumerable hours of personal time to look into the problem, gather info from >other owners, and possibly follow up with an FTC complaint, finally at least >$200 worth of extra food expenses in having to do without the fridge. > >I (we) hereby request that you inform me (us) whether these issues are in your >system, and what their status is. For your information, this unit has >been in the shop x number of times and it still doesn't function properly >under a number of circumstances: we suspect not only a design with a >limited range of applicability, but also difficult to service. Such a defect >should warrant a general recall. > >Since many of the 95 EV owners are approaching the end of their >warranty periods, this has become a serious concern. Owners are exchanging >information via Internet and other means, this may become >a source of significant negative publicity to Winnebago, damaging the >reputation of an otherwise fine design...sincerely...signature

Macon Cowles | Trial Lawyer representing people 1680 Wilson Court | and citizen's groups in environmental Boulder, CO 80304 | toxics, civil rights, employment, (303) 447-1332 | consumer and class action cases.