Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 23 Jul 1997 21:59:15 -0700
From:         rex eastman <sunbugs@INREACH.COM>
Subject:      MI vw show-come see me

I'm flyinf out to the MI show this weekend. Come by my booth if you are going to the show. I'll be there selling VW service coveralls.

rex

---------- > From: Ken Hooper <bighouse@bigkitty.azaccess.com> > To: type2@type2.com; vanagon@vanagon.com; VINTAGVW@SJSUVM1.SJSU.EDU > Subject: Asbestos in VWs -- VWOA Denies it's a Covert Recall > Date: Tuesday, July 22, 1997 11:12 PM > > > For those of you who haven't been following this, I've been trying for > quite a while to get VW to issue a definitive written policy on replacement > of heating system components in '72-and-up aircooled Transporters. > > In June, I specifically asked for a statement detailing what VW would > replace, under what circumstances, in which countries. Ten days later, > having received a "we'll get back to you" email from Marilyn Kenyon of > VWOA, I reiterated that what I was looking for was a specific policy on > what, why and where. > > Following is what VWOA considers a "definitive" response (their word). It's > not an unofficial recall, which is what I called it; it's not a parts > exchange, which is what one listee was told; it's a scientific sampling. > > It isn't clear whether they're going to continue to replace the heater > systems; if they've concluded there's no health hazard there's no reason to > keep on replacing them--but it doesn't say they won't, either. No word on > whether this "investigation" applies to non-US markets. That is, they > answered none of my questions, they merely distanced themselves from the > dreaded r-word. > > At one time I had some reservations about whether VW ought to be held > responsible for components that are so old. But the way Ms. Kenyon tells > it, if VW replaces your heating system, you're doing VWOA a favor. Ain't > science wonderful? > > Somebody post Le Coz's phone number again. > > > >Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 16:43 -0400 (EDT) > >From: "Kenyon, Marilyn Ann" <Marilyn.Kenyon@vw.com> > >Subject: Follow-Up > >To: Ken Hooper <bighouse@type2.com> > >MIME-version: 1.0 > >Posting-date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 16:43 -0400 (EDT) > >Priority: normal > > > > > >Dear Mr. Hooper: > > > >This is in further response to your E-mail of June 12 to our Web site and > >follows up on our interim reply of July 1. > > > >You have advised us that you are aware of "an unofficial recall > >concerning asbestos gaskets used in the heating systems of post-71 > >air-cooled Volkswagen automobiles." You appear to base your conclusion > >upon information from several owners of Volkswagen vans who have asserted > >they are the beneficiaries of certain repairs paid by Volkswagen. > > > >In fact, Volkswagen has not conducted any recall concerning asbestos > >gaskets in heater systems of Volkswagen automobiles and has no plans to > >do so. Your misimpression may have been based upon the removal and > >replacement by Volkswagen of America representatives of certain heater > >system components in a small sample of older Volkswagen vans although the > >vehicles were far out of warranty. Volkswagen removed these components > >from customer-owned vehicles, and naturally installed replacements, > >because its engineers were interested in confirming whether or not heater > >system components used in 1972 through 1982 Volkswagen vans equipped with > >air-cooled engines posed a health hazard after 15 or more years of use, > >as some persons have suggested. The investigation performed to date by > >these engineers confirms that the heater systems in these Volkswagen vans > >do not pose a health hazard. > > > >Some owners have also expressed concern about the supply of replacement > >heater parts for these vans. Because of the age of the vehicles in > >question, Volkswagen's stock of replacement heater components has > >unfortunately been completely exhausted. However, we know that heat > >exchangers are available as replacement parts from a number of > >aftermarket suppliers. We suggest that any owner of a 1972 through 1982 > >model Volkswagen van who requires a new part we can no longer supply, and > >in particular a new heat exchanger, ask his repair facility to contact > >one of these suppliers. > > > >Please let us know whether you require any additional information. If > >you believe it to be helpful, we would be pleased to meet with you at a > >place and time convenient to you for the purpose of further review of > >your concerns. > > > >Sincerely yours, > > > > > >Marilyn Kenyon > >Team Leader > >Customer Relations > > > --Ken > 68 Westy, Admin -- type2 -- The VW Bus Mailing List > >