Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 24 Jul 1997 08:23:35 -0700
From:         Ivan Boyd <boyd@UNM.EDU>
Subject:      Tach Speeds

Hi All,

A friend is helping me tune my '85 Westy and he made a recommendation last night of which I'm curious if others share his opinion -- which is, that the best highway speed for me to travel at is ~3,000 - 3,200 rpm. Since this is ~54 mph to 58mph on my vanagon I wasn't to happy to hear this... I normally travel between 65 - 75 mph. He says this is asking to shorten my engine life. Since I commute 50 freeway miles round trip a day this has some importance.

Also, I'm curious if my tach is correct. What are those of you out there with a 1.9L waterboxer seeing as tack readings for these speeds? Mine is:

mph tach reading --- ------------ 50 2,800 54 3,000 70 3,650

Thanks mucho! Ivan

p.s.,

- Those of you that have recommended replacing the Oxygen Sensor with the $30 Bosch generic are absolutely right - it's very easy to do (coming from me that's saying alot).

- I put all Bosch parts in - rotor and cap were mildly pitted - realized recognizable performance boost.