Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 24 Jul 1997 13:17:33 EDT
From:         Jim Thompson <uvx196@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Battery and Battery compartment

Stephen -

You don't mention the year of your Westy, but it sounds like a Vanagon version. Since the main owners manual does not address the fact of the optional swivel seat on the Westy submodel, I have found that if you move the seat entirely forward, then rotate it 180 degrees (front facing the rear), you have excellent access to the battery.

This is not a DPO Conversion - this is factory on ALL Vanagons, except Diesels, where the battery is in the engine compartment. Not the greatest place, mind you, but it is factory. I like it there because I can tap off of it directly for other electrical accessories that I use on the dash and throughout the camper. Later model Vanagon Westy's have an auxilary battery beneath the driver's seat as well.

There is no such thing as a true sealed maintenance-free battery. All automotive batteries require some H2o maintenance (distilled water preferred). Even on so-called sealed batteries, the covers can be removed with a screwdriver to access the cells to top off. Water level max on most batteries is just a little over the tops of the visible plates in each cell (use a flashlight). Each cell's water should be clear - cloudy ones indicate the plates are sulphating and the battery life is on the wane. A battery hydrometer can tell you the state of charge and condition in each cell - they're cheap from any FLAPS. During the hot weather of summer, you should check your battery at least once a month. Check the archives for heavier duty deep-cycle batteries. They cost 2 to 3 times more than the standard automotive battery, but are worth it if you are using a lot of 12V accessories both on the road and at the campsite.

The Bentley Factory Manual (VV91) shows some general, but good tips on battery maintenance. Don't have a Bentley? Take my advice as an owner and not as a person who sells parts and manuals: Spend the bucks and get one anyway - there's a lot of great factory info to learn from this book. Buy it from me, buy it from Ron, buy it from your FLAPS or buy it at a local flea market (I did) - Just get one.

Jim 84 Westy 2.1 62 Beetle (Father was original owner) 90 Fox Wagon Sherwood Automotive * The Old Volks Home (oldvolkshome1@juno.com) (916) 221-5342

On Thu, 24 Jul 1997 08:38:51 -0600 Stephen Jones <sjones@TETONDATA.COM> writes: >While exploring my new Westy, I stumbled upon the primary battery >compartment. Could this be in a more inconvienient to get to? >Am I missing sonething? > >The owners manual says to push the passengers seat all the way >forward to access. Even all the way forward I can't access the front >screws on the plate that covers the battery. Swiveling the seat 45 >degrees allows access to these screws, but I don't see how it would be >possible to remove the battery if need be (Without removing the >entire seat). The manual implies that there is a storage compartment >under the seat with bolts to remove the seat, but I can locate no >storage compartment. > >Under the drivers seat is a nice hinged panel to acces the second >battery compartment. Is the passengers side a DPO conversion? > >Any tips on battery access would be appreciated. > >If you needed to jump start the vehicle, where would you ground >the negative terminal to? (I'm used to grounding it on the engine) > >The battery also requires some maintenace (add water, etc?). I have >never owned a battery like that, nor do I have a manual. How do I >check >the water level? How much to add? Is tap water OK? Can I replace >this battery with a maintenace free battery? Any reccomenendations? > >Thanks >Stephen Jones >