Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 25 Jul 1997 15:43:44 EDT
From:         Jim Thompson <uvx196@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      CA Smog Test - Engine ID Rule Changes

I've just received today a CC'd letter from the California Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) addressed to Dean Kirsten, one of the editors of Hot VWs Magazine in regards to the editorials published in the magazine a couple of months back. Thought it might be of benefit to both lists:

****** Dear Mr Kirsten.

This letter serves as a follow-up to my previous correspondence regarding a staff review of the smog inspection procedures for Volkswagen vehicles with engine changes.

As a result of the review, the Bureau instructed referee inspectors to perform a complete inspection of these vehicles and to evaluate the required emissions control systems and fuel induction systems on the basis of chassis year, not the engine year. In other words, engine case numbers will not be used to determine if the vehicle passes or fails the inspection. Furthermore, the Bureau informed referee inspectors not to fail a vehicle simply because the engine does not have a case number.

The new inspection policy applies to the following Volkswagens in need of an engine change inspection: Type-I (Beetle), Type-II (Bus), and Type-III (Squareback and Notchback) models equipped with air cooled engines. Please be advised that the new policy does not apply to Specially Constructed Vehicles (SPCNs).

I believe this new policy addresses your readers' concerns.

Sincerely,

L.G. Vann, Jr., Chief of Staff

******* Well, at least they addressed the air cooled community, but not the wasserboxer. By the way, when I tested my 84 Westy, they didn't even bother to look for the engine number to determine the engine size. They just tested me under 1.9 standards for the 1984 year model. In other words, I kept my mouth shut, which is sometimes a good thing to do.

Jim 84 Westy 2.1 62 Beetle (Father was original owner) 90 Fox Wagon Sherwood Automotive * The Old Volks Home (oldvolkshome1@juno.com) (916) 221-5342