Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 26 Jul 1997 14:19:32 +1000
From:         Jack Newton <johnn@TRIODE.NET.AU>
Subject:      Re: how to find a short

Ron of Germantown, Tennessee writes:

> I've got a short somewhere in my 89 Westy. I've put in a > new battery, thinking that this was the problem, but by the battery > indicator, and lack of starting power after just a couple of days, I know > that there must be a short somewhere...

Ron

The fact that the battery was flat after two days may indicate a short but it also may indicate charging problems. Does the charge indicator light come on when the ignition is switched on and does it go out after the engine starts? If the red light stays on there are charging problems - if you are not well up on auto electrics find a mate who is or alternatively find a reliable auto electrician.

To check for a short, first switch off all electrical accessories i.e. the ignition, lights, radio, car alarm etc. Disconnect the battery at the ground (negative) terminal and then run a wire from the negative terminal to outside the van. Touch the end of the wire to bare metal on the chassis and look for a spark (easier to see at night) BTW the easier method of touching the earth strap to the battery negative carries a slight chance exploding the explosive gas mix which can be present in the battery compartment. If you get a big spark once again check that all electrical accessories are off including door courtesy lights. If you get a small weak spark that may be from the clock.

Set your multimeter to a high ampere range (10 amps) leaving all the accessories switched off .

Then connect your multimeter in series, the negative terminal of the m/meter to the wire you attached to the -ve battery terminal and the +ve m/meter terminal to bare metal on the chassis. Note the reading. Switch to a lower range until you get a clear reading.

It should be around 20 milliamps (clock current). If it's higher go to the fuse box and take out fuse #1 and check the amperage on the m/meter (a leakage of 1 amp can discharge a battery in under two days ( 1ampx48 hours = 48 ampere-hours)). Continue to pull out fuses until you find that pulling the one that drops the current down to a few milliamps - that's the circuit which is causing your problemp. You'll then need to follow the circuit through to find where it's shorting. Bentley gives circuit diagrams and is fairly explicit but takes some studying.

Best of luck with your search

Jack Newton '89 Transporter Safari Camper