Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 4 Jul 1997 11:16:43 -0400 (EDT)
From:         RubatoGuy@aol.com
Subject:      For the dreamers

After the discussion on engine swaps I went ahead and wrote for info. I thought I'd post the infor here for those among us who have lots of cash to spend. <g>

MSDS (Martin Schneider Designe Systems) offers 911 conversions for the Vanagon. They note that their systems are designed only for the Carrera 3.2L 911 engine. Aparently this is the only one that will fit under the engine cover. My favorite line in the brochure is:

"Big Rig drivers have nicknamed the Vanagon as the "moving guard rail". Can you imagine their expressions when you pas the 18-wheelers on an upgrade?"

Well, that satisfaction does not come cheap. Here are the kit prices. Does not include the 911 engine or installation. MSDS will do the install for you (call for prices)

4WD 1986-up $1,775.00 2WD 1980-up 1,695.00

Kit includes all mounting parts, wiring and HD pressure plate and machined flywheel ring. They make note that you can use a Porsche G50 transmission instead of the VW unit. The kit is for manual transmissions only.

Looks pretty cool in the photos.

So, anyone from the list want to give it a go? I figure if we aproach them as a group they will have to give us a list discount <g> !

BTW, MSDS does also ofter the Panzer brush guard which has the distinction of the motor freight shipping cost being equal to the cost of the guard itself. ($179)

Okay, here is the plan, we tell our families we are treating them to a trip to Disneyland, and caravan to MSDS for the 911 conversion - explaining that we are saving on parking and taking a special shuttle. Then our families would be sufficiently distracted not to notice the 911 in the Vanagon.... well, I can dream..

Note: I have no affiiation with MSDS and have no first-hand knowledge of their products. I'm just providing the info for those interested.