Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 04 Jul 1997 20:54:43 -0400
From:         olmcons <olmcons@netinc.ca>
Subject:      Re: Gauge placement 86 westy

Gcarlen@aol.com wrote:

> I don't want to modify my dash however I feel the need to install a > couple > of 2 inch gauges in my 86 westy,about the only choice seems to be just > > past the radio.--

I also needed to add some gauges to my van; oil pressure, cylinder head temperature, and voltmeter. After tossing around some ideas, I decided to buy a 'trio' gauge set. I made a sheet metal cover, formed to the trio panel, and tapered back to fit the cut-out for the ash tray. I know the ash tray is handy for change and misc screws and head rest clips, but knowing what is happening in the remote rear quarters is more important. I painted the sheet metal brown to match the dash, and wired the lights to the dash lights. It works great except that I bought Equius gauges which are junk. I hope to replace them soon with VDO gauges that actually might reflect what is going on, instead of their 'reality distortion field'.

Diesel John

'83 Vanagon Diesel GL 'The Smoking Tortoise' '71 S-Cab 'Ole Blu' '83 Audi 5000 TD '84 Audi 5000 Avant ex '71 Superbeetle ex '71 Window Van ex '76 Scirocco ex '77 & '78 Rabbit Diesel LiMBO