Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 4 Jul 1997 23:06:10 -0400
From:         kelphoto@bright.net (mark keller)
Subject:      Re: Gauge placement 86 westy

A while back I wanted to install a 2" round vacuum guage on my Rover 3500, and I didn't want to booger up the dash either. Instead I discovered that a frozen orange juice can is the perfect diameter to mount the guage in.

I trimmed down the can until it was just deep enough to hold the guage. I spray painted it flat black, drilled a hole for the hose to pass through and attached it to the top of my steering column, and inserted the guage. Really an inconspicious install.

My new find is getting the same treatment, very soon. I believe the steering column is still the sweet spot for me. I'm sure that two guages could be added, and if your persistant Maybe three on top, and one one each side. Said differently there is probably five different mounting locations on the steering column that would give you a good sight line, and not reflect in the windshield with the night light burning.

Consider a vacuum guage too. It can give mountains of information about the powerplant's current state of affairs.

Mark Keller 91' Carat WLE